I admit it....I'm going to the dark side in about a month

ShuttleLuv

Supreme [H]ardness
I own a Geforce 7800 GTX right now....clocks insanely high, great card. Love it. But I'm afraid I'm going to be getting a X1800XT (if I can snag one).

Anyone else a GTX owner that admits to this? If I do, I'll simply sell this one and add some cash. :)

I would pretty much say anytime, going from nVidia to ATI means you need a psychologist, and that something supernatural has been making you want to. a cleansing of the soul will clear the Aura of the Black that is ATI.
:)

Personally, Im going to stay with nVidia becuase their more mature on dual card solutions and I really cant wait for FW80 to come out. ATi still has a lot of work to do to catch up. I could really care less for the X1800XT

has ATi done anything to improve their driver/control panel apps? the last ati card i had was a 9600pro and the drivers were just abysmal when compared to the latest and greatest from nvidia..

I dont have anything against the performance of ati hardware, but the software certainly left a sour impression on me.

Mister E said:
Since when is ATi the darkside? Pfftt. :D
What?

The R520 core is blacker than hell. It sucks in light. That's why the card didn't appear for so long.

And don't see the point of GTX -> XT to be honest. If you can get a good price for your card, I guess it doesn't matter.

well i've had my 7800GTX for almost 2 weeks, and if benchmarks are THAT much better then i'll be picking up 2 X1800XT's and run them in crossfire.

Shameless Liar said:
What?

The R520 core is blacker than hell. It sucks in light. That's why the card didn't appear for so long.

And don't see the point of GTX -> XT to be honest. If you can get a good price for your card, I guess it doesn't matter.

Because the XT has more overclocking headroom assuming you have the cooling for it maybe? Or he could want to pair the XT with his Theater550 pro so he can say that he has an AVIVO platform (lol...to go along with his Centrino notebook ;) )

I can't believe you all didn't catch the joke. I only said dark side because that's what everyone around here lately seems to think of Ati. Me personally? No, I don't think Ati is the dark side.

I loved my 9700 pro, 9800 pro, and X800 Pro. So. :D :p

*mxyzptlk said:
has ATi done anything to improve their driver/control panel apps? the last ati card i had was a 9600pro and the drivers were just abysmal when compared to the latest and greatest from nvidia..

I dont have anything against the performance of ati hardware, but the software certainly left a sour impression on me.

I found the drivers for 9600 and up to be fine. It's all in how you set them up and basically what config you used with them. They've gotten alot better. Oh and welcome back. :D

My question to you is, how will you be going to the dark side when the x1800xt wont be out for another 6 months ? :p

Personally, I'd wait to see what the 7800GTX 512MB has to offer before deciding on an X1800XT. Unless you're after an X1800XT for it's feature-set instead of it's performance?

coz said:
Personally, I'd wait to see what the 7800GTX 512MB has to offer before deciding on an X1800XT.

Look how long people have waited for the X1000 series and now your asking them to wait longer? By the time the 7800GTX 512mb does come around people will be saying 'just wait a little bit longer for next-gen', there needs to be a cut-off point because there's no such thing as having a cutting-edge computer anymore, the industry moves too fast.

tornadotsunamilife said:
Look how long people have waited for the X1000 series and now your asking them to wait longer?
So, it's okay to tell people to wait for an ATi product but they shouldn't wait for an NVIDIA product? People are waiting for X1800XT right now after all.

Hmmm... Well since the X1800XT has some crazy clocks... And some more voltage and 3rd party cooling who knows how far it could go ;)

And since when was ATi the darkside? Nvidia is the darkside my friend :D

V99 said:
Hmmm... Well since the X1800XT has some crazy clocks... And some more voltage and 3rd party cooling who knows how far it could go ;)

And since when was ATi the darkside? Nvidia is the darkside my friend :D

Earlier quote

I can't believe you all didn't catch the joke. I only said dark side because that's what everyone around here lately seems to think of Ati. Me personally? No, I don't think Ati is the dark side.

I loved my 9700 pro, 9800 pro, and X800 Pro. So

:D :D

ShuttleLuv said:
I'd get the X1800 XT based on overclockability most likely...
The overclockability on the core is pretty poor from initial results. The memory is another matter though. :)

Yep I know. But there are reports that a heavily overclocked XT can beat two stock GTX's in SLI. That's powa. :eek:

coz said:
So, it's okay to tell people to wait for an ATi product but they shouldn't wait for an NVIDIA product? People are waiting for X1800XT right now after all.

I'm saying how much longer do you want people to wait? This card is coming out what? Q1 2006? That could potentially be 4-5 months away.

ShuttleLuv said:
But there are reports that a heavily overclocked XT can beat two stock GTX's in SLI.
Yeah, that's an X1800XT on the kind of cooling available to only a select few and which is impractical for regular use. Add to that a hugely overclocked FX-57 and it can just about beat an everything-stock 7800GTX SLi rig. I'll be impressed when I see guys on these forums beating that SLi rig with their X1800XT's but I guess I've got to wait a bit for that. :p

ShuttleLuv said:
I own a Geforce 7800 GTX right now....clocks insanely high, great card. Love it. But I'm afraid I'm going to be getting a X1800XT (if I can snag one).

Anyone else a GTX owner that admits to this? If I do, I'll simply sell this one and add some cash. :)

Errr, I will for sure after playing with an XL this weekend.

tornadotsunamilife said:
I'm saying how much longer do you want people to wait? This card is coming out what? Q1 2006?
Q1 '06?? Did your Taiwanese insider friend tell you that? ;)

I don't think it'll take NVIDIA long to put out a 512MB G70 card. After all, there's already one on the market - it's called a Quadro FX 4500.

Also, your favourite website mentioned they may release it before X1800XT.....

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=26819

Shameless Liar said:
What?

You truely are a shamless liar because nothign you say is true. The X1800XT > 7800GTX by a few simple facts: 32bit full precision, angle independent AF, and HDR+AA are the 3 things ATI clearly has over the 7800, pure speed, and once some CF boards come out, the X1800XT x2 will be faster than 7800GTX x2.

coz said:
I don't think it'll take NVIDIA long to put out a 512MB G70 card.
Also, your favourite website mentioned they may release it before X1800XT.....
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=26819

Same website that originally thought that the r520 was a 32pp card, originaly said the G70 was on a 90nm process etc. etc. I can't believe you're going to believe them now afetr all the crap they've gotten wrong

tornadotsunamilife said:
I can't believe you're going to believe them now afetr all the crap they've gotten wrong
I never said I believed them, I simply reported what they were saying. But I happen to think Fuad Abazovic is much closer to the truth than you are with your Q1'06 guesstimate!! :p

coz said:
I never said I believed them, I simply reported what they were saying. But I happen to think Fuad Abazovic is much closer to the truth than you are with your Q1'06 guesstimate!! :p

I agree it was a simple guess but what makes him more reliable really?

tornadotsunamilife said:
I agree it was a simple guess but what makes him more reliable really?
Fuad is far from being reliable but his wild-assed guess sounds a lot more plausible than your wild-assed guess. NVIDIA already have 512MB boards featuring the G70 GPU on the workstation market so I don't think it'll take long to produce one for the gaming enthusiast market. I'm sure NV would have prepared something to counter X1800XT and what better way to screw with ATi than to make it available around the same time? I'd be surprised to see a 512MB 7800GTX appear before X1800XT but I don't think it'll be too far behind and certainly not as late as you've suggested. Only time will tell though. :)

coz said:
Fuad is far from being reliable but his wild-assed guess sounds a lot more plausible than your wild-assed guess. NVIDIA already have 512MB boards featuring the G70 GPU on the workstation market so I don't think it'll take long to produce one for the gaming enthusiast market. I'm sure NV would have prepared something to counter X1800XT and what better way to screw with ATi than to make it available around the same time? I'd be surprised to see a 512MB 7800GTX appear before X1800XT but I don't think it'll be too far behind and certainly not as late as you've suggested. Only time will tell though. :)

And the Nvidia version will actually be available... something ATI has consistently had problems with.

Endurancevm said:
You truely are a shamless liar because nothign you say is true. The X1800XT > 7800GTX by a few simple facts: 32bit full precision, angle independent AF, and HDR+AA are the 3 things ATI clearly has over the 7800, pure speed, and once some CF boards come out, the X1800XT x2 will be faster than 7800GTX x2.
No, you misunderstand. I didn't say the XT was slower or faster. I wrote -> as in GTX to XT. I didn't mean > as in GTX is better than XT.

tazzmissionx said:
When I saw the title of the thread, the first thing that I thought of was that you were going Mac :D

I was thinking he was switching to Intel Extreme Graphics. If there's a darkside of the computer graphics world then they are it...

Hvatum said:
I was thinking he was switching to Intel Extreme Graphics. If there's a darkside of the computer graphics world then they are it...

Intel have moved out of the intergrated graphic solutions market! Rejoice! At least...for now (actually I think one or two chipsets still have it)

Back