• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

i-7 2600 differences?!?

Pitbully

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 29, 2011
Messages
1,155
The 2600 has very limited overclocking - only 4 multipliers, while the 2600K has a fully unlocked multiplier. If you want to overclock get the 2600K. If you don't need hyperthreading (gaming, for instance, doesn't benefit much) you can get the i5-2500K for $100 less and not see much if any performance difference.
 
Oh duh, didn't even notice one was a K and other wasn't.

next, Z68 or P67 chipset?
 
Do you use any software that takes advantage of HyperThreading? If the answer is no, save yourself a Benjamin and go with the 2500K. And you'll definitely want the Z68 chipset.
 
No, I really have no use for Hyperthreading, I've pretty much decided on a 2500k, (mostly gaming on this rig) and spending the extra $100 on a 120gb SSD boot drive.


I will miss my poor old Q9550 though, I've got more milage out of it then probably any CPU I've ever owned, I believe it will be 3 years old in a month or so.
 
There is a Z77 coming out soon. I am not sure what new it brings to the table. PCI-e 3.0 out of the box maybe. But the Z68 can be bios flashed to support PCI-e 3.0 already. Especially with Ivy Bridge chips since they will have native PCIe 3.0 support built in.
 
Do you want or need the integrated GPU support? Do you want PCIe 3.0? If not, then you can save some money with a P67 board, otherwise the Asus P8Z68-V Gen 3 (on sale now for $162) is a good choice:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131792

I highly recommend the having the capability of the IGP in case the slim chance the GPU craps out, then there's a backup that will still allow the system to be used. Small price premium for lots of peace of mind.
 
Pretty much have settled on the Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3 board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

I've had a ton of Asus boards over the years and had to deal with Asus RMA's twice, never again. I think they make good shit, but I pity the fool who ever has to deal with RMAing something with Asus. What I've seen so far out of Asrock has been nothing but good, so I'll take my chances and save some money in the process.
 
As was said, if you are going to OC the 2600, get the K. I have the non-K version and I am glad I did because now it is in my ESXi Virtual Server. the K processor does not support some of the features as the non K one does (mostly has to do with virtualization).

I have my 2600 on a Asrock Extreme 4 Gen 3 board and it is working great.
 
I am glad I did because now it is in my ESXi Virtual Server. the K processor does not support some of the features as the non K one does (mostly has to do with virtualization).

The K processor does not support VT-d. This feature is only necessary if you are running a VM server and you want to physically assign a PCIe card or device to the guest instead of emulating it through the host. One example of this is adding a second GPU and assigning that to a guest. So the guest gets full 3D acceleration on its own monitor. A second example is assigning a raid card to the guest so the guest will not have to deal with the performance degradation of several levels of emulation involved in mapping virtual disks and virtual hard drive controllers to real hard ware on the host.
 
There are really 3 Intel® Core™ i7-2600's, The normal Intel Core i7-2600, the Intel Core i7-2600K (which is unlocked for overclocking), and the low power Intel® Core™ i7-2600S (TDP of 65w).
 
The K processor does not support VT-d. This feature is only necessary if you are running a VM server and you want to physically assign a PCIe card or device to the guest instead of emulating it through the host. One example of this is adding a second GPU and assigning that to a guest. So the guest gets full 3D acceleration on its own monitor. A second example is assigning a raid card to the guest so the guest will not have to deal with the performance degradation of several levels of emulation involved in mapping virtual disks and virtual hard drive controllers to real hard ware on the host.


Thats exactly what I did, and the reason I went with the 2600. I am using vt-d to pass through my sas card to 7x 2TB drives.
 
Back
Top