Hyundai W241DG: 24 inch IPS, <$500

watanabe

Limp Gawd
Anyone seen any reviews on this? This monitor started popping up here in Japan recently, I went down to a local retailer and confirmed that it is indeed an IPS panel(viewed it from the bottom, no color shifts like TN's). Been using an old Samsung 172x for a long time now and decided this was in my budget considering its got an IPS panel.

Came home and paid 52,780 yen ($481USD at today's exchange rate) and it should be arriving this Saturday.

Some quick specs:

12ms response time(I don't care about this, mostly concerned with photography) and a glossy screen(again, not a fan, but with an IPS panel and at this cheap I don't care). Inputs are: RGB x1, DVI x1, HDMI x1, Component x1. As expected viewing angle was quoted at 178degrees horizontal/vertical.
Spec sheet from Hyundai Japan:
http://www.hyundaiit.jp/product/lcd/w241dg.htm

Thank you for the news, this should be interesting to know more about. :) Does it have wide color gamut or sRGB?

Anyone seen any reviews on this? This monitor started popping up here in Japan recently, I went down to a local retailer and confirmed that it is indeed an IPS panel(viewed it from the bottom, no color shifts like TN's).
Image "blackout" from down angle is problem of only TN so lack of that doesn't automatically mean IPS. Did you check behavior of darkest shades from different horizontal angles?
Might be just version of W241D with faults corrected.

if it is IPS based, it could be interesting. Spec matches LG.Display's LM240WU2 panel at least with 12ms G2G response time, 800:1 contrast ratio and 400 cd/m2 brightness. As said though, Hyundai have used VA matrices in the past, so could be a red herring

small update, reading other user reviews for this monitor say it has 1:1 pixel mapping and is definitely an IPS panel.

also seems to be the one of? the panels used in the 24 inch imac

24" IPS and appears to be standard Gamut.... Argh, why couldn't I have waited...

im loving these guys. I have the old L90D+, still going good.

eagerly awaiting your results... another IPS to compete with Doublesight and HP (although slower response times, so im a bit worried)
What was the total price, including shipping and any charges?
Please post LOTS of picks, from various angles and with various backgrounds!

Let's not. What's a little trans-pacific shipping in the interest of low cost IPS exploration. ;-)

I'm quite happy with my NEC 2690 and I'll not pay a king's duty to get something to Europe :) So let's wayit if the monitor makes its way to the Old World :)

Keeping my eye on this monitor. If holds true and the price point is under 500$ I am jumping on it. Been using my Dell 2007 WFP S-PVA for quite a while now.

Arrived this morning but had to go to work; initial testing with an empty source shows some backlight bleed in the upper left and bottom left; but nothing noticeable when there is a some source material. Can't find any dead pixels yet either. Have work tomorrow but I will take some pics after that.

Initial summary: Very pleased. Colors are totally different(superior) to my old Samsung 172x.

Keeping my eye on this monitor. If holds true and the price point is under 500$ I am jumping on it. Been using my Dell 2007 WFP S-PVA for quite a while now.

I am in the same boat as you except I am using the 2005 wfp.

Arrived this morning but had to go to work; initial testing with an empty source shows some backlight bleed in the upper left and bottom left; but nothing noticeable when there is a some source material. Can't find any dead pixels yet either. Have work tomorrow but I will take some pics after that.

Initial summary: Very pleased. Colors are totally different(superior) to my old Samsung 172x.

Looking forward to it, watanabe! :) Do you have a colorimeter to test the monitor with?

I doubt this monitor will see the light of day outside of Japan. Maybe Europe will get lucky, but I doubt it will be available in North America. It would be possible to import one from Japan, but keep in mind that it would cost around $200 to ship, bringing the total cost to around $700.

That being said, I will try to get one. :cool:

im loving these guys. I have the old L90D+, still going good.

eagerly awaiting your results... another IPS to compete with Doublesight and HP (although slower response times, so im a bit worried)
What was the total price, including shipping and any charges?
Please post LOTS of picks, from various angles and with various backgrounds!
me too. the L90D+ my secondary, looking to maybe get an alternative to the FW900 (it cannot be replaced) with the Doublesight but if this turns out to be good even better. What is the deal with these monitors not being released in the US, not like they have to go Best Buy to make money, people who know about IPS will order on the internet anyway. My other consideration was the LG L227WT but that's impossible to find too.

Been about two weeks now with this panel; and I have to say I'm very pleased. I did not notice any dead pixels at first, but after a few days a single stuck green pixel showed up. It's slightly annoying just because I know its there, but I can never see it in normal usage so I'm fine.

Unfortunately I don't have money to get a calibrator for this yet, so all I can say is that it compares superbly with the old samsung I had; I do serious analog photography and the black levels on this are much better than what I ever had with that old TFT (not even sure what type it was, probably TN, was one of the first "low" ms panels, back when low was like 12-17 I think).

I've even come to like the glossy bit a bit; nice for movies, but I am in a room where I can control the light levels and block glare.

Basically, for the price(again, $500USD) I don't think there's a better choice.

Does it do 90 degree rotation to portrait mode?

Been about two weeks now with this panel; and I have to say I'm very pleased. I did not notice any dead pixels at first, but after a few days a single stuck green pixel showed up. It's slightly annoying just because I know its there, but I can never see it in normal usage so I'm fine.
Unfortunately I don't have money to get a calibrator for this yet, so all I can say is that it compares superbly with the old samsung I had; I do serious analog photography and the black levels on this are much better than what I ever had with that old TFT (not even sure what type it was, probably TN, was one of the first "low" ms panels, back when low was like 12-17 I think).
I've even come to like the glossy bit a bit; nice for movies, but I am in a room where I can control the light levels and block glare.
Basically, for the price(again, $500USD) I don't think there's a better choice.

Does it do 90 degree rotation to portrait mode?

The stand does, yes. I don't know if it can automatically switch using some sort of software/driver control as I don't see that function but I'm using linux so it may depend on your catalyst/nvidia drivers.

The stand does, yes. I don't know if it can automatically switch using some sort of software/driver control as I don't see that function but I'm using linux so it may depend on your catalyst/nvidia drivers.

Thanks for replying. My old Dell 2007WFP was not automatic as well. you would have to rotate via drivers in WinXP.

Still, this monitor is pretty freakin sweet considering its price point and panel. I'm just trying to find someone that actually carries them! :confused:

anyone else with this monitor?
anyone knows where can it be bought online except in japan?

I'm also wondering if we can get this somewhere outside of japan? if not does anyone wanna do a group buy or something to save some costs?

thank you, Ali

Last edited:
wow news 1 years old and this monitor nowhere to find in EUROPE?

Sometimes i have feeling we don't live on EARTH but on MARS, cause it's so DAMN difficult to ship from JAPAN, right? We don't have ships?

Back