Hyundai Has A Virtual Owner's Manual App

Cool, but it seems like a lot of work to show you where to pour your windshield washer fluid.

Completely useless. If you think I'll drag some stupid video player out in the rain and dark while I figure out where the spare tire is or where the jack is, then you have never driven a car is most of North America or the world. Dumb.

you'd be surprised at how many people have absolutely zero clue about where anything is on their car other than the steering wheel, ignition, and gas/brake pedals...and even then, not all of them know where those are.

my gf got into a rental car once that had a push-button ignition on it, and spent a while trying to figure out how to start the car...the rental guy realized she was having trouble with it and let her know that she had to be pressing the brake pedal before the car would start.

i think it's pretty cool that something like this exists, and it should become more widespread. after all, using this, you don't have to flip through indexes/tables of contents in order to find things, and then get frustrated because you don't know the correct terms to look for in the first place. with this, you just touch the screen on whatever you want more info on, and there it is. makes finding out information about your car much faster & easier than looking through a book.

hell, i catch myself sometimes wanting to press "Ctrl+F" when i'm reading a physical book/magazine in order to search for something....LOL

Completely useless. If you think I'll drag some stupid video player out in the rain and dark while I figure out where the spare tire is or where the jack is, then you have never driven a car is most of North America or the world. Dumb.

I think you're underestimating human stupidity here :p there's a huge number of people who are too lazy to open the book in the glove box and can't figure out how to open the hood let alone check the oil.

I think you're underestimating human stupidity here :p there's a huge number of people who are too lazy to open the book in the glove box and can't figure out how to open the hood let alone check the oil.
If you are too damn lazy to look at the owner's manual, you should have your vehicle ownership revoked. Then your driver's license. #generationspoiled

Why do they still use silly symbols and nondescript words instead of actually telling you what is wrong with the car? Why does ( ! ) translate to low tire pressure? why does MAINT REQ = Oil Change time, why not just have a little LCD screen that actually says what needs to be done rather than needing some manual to look up a symbol because you never seen it before.

If you are too damn lazy to look at the owner's manual, you should have your vehicle ownership revoked. Then your driver's license. #generationspoiled

It would be a perfect world. Just think of all the idiots we could put off the road! Guess we can always dream.

why can't this stuff just be labeled within the engine bay itself on the components... too hard to have a little tab or physical indicator? sometimes i dont even like tech anymore.

My Mini cooper has the owners manual built into the dash. Its still easier to use the physical book, but its nice having it built in.

I am sure it is one thing slapping a manual on an infotainment, but another actually customizing the manual and improving it for infotainment use.

why can't this stuff just be labeled within the engine bay itself on the components... too hard to have a little tab or physical indicator? sometimes i dont even like tech anymore.

Umm, it actually is labeled on a lot of vehicles. But there are a few problems with that.

First, a lot of people don't know they're labeled so they don't bother to look.
Second, a lot of people don't know what the labels mean.
Third, depending on the car, sometimes those labels get covered in crap making them even harder to see or read.

On top of that, you've got car companies doing things like removing oil dipsticks because people didn't even bother to ever use the things. Hell, even with easily accessible and clear instructions, there are tons of people incapable of changing a tire(and not due to physical reasons), do you really think those types of people understand that when their windshield washer fluid doesn't appear to be working, that they realize there's a tank under the hood they can refill? They don't.

I do think that the funniest thing about this sort of "manual", is that most of the people who would "need" it, still wouldn't bother to use it.

Umm, it actually is labeled on a lot of vehicles. But there are a few problems with that.

First, a lot of people don't know they're labeled so they don't bother to look.
Second, a lot of people don't know what the labels mean.
Third, depending on the car, sometimes those labels get covered in crap making them even harder to see or read.

On top of that, you've got car companies doing things like removing oil dipsticks because people didn't even bother to ever use the things. Hell, even with easily accessible and clear instructions, there are tons of people incapable of changing a tire(and not due to physical reasons), do you really think those types of people understand that when their windshield washer fluid doesn't appear to be working, that they realize there's a tank under the hood they can refill? They don't.

I do think that the funniest thing about this sort of "manual", is that most of the people who would "need" it, still wouldn't bother to use it.

I can second that, nearly everything in my Mazda 3's engine bay is labelled. Certainly all the standard stuff like fluid fill caps.

I can second that, nearly everything in my Mazda 3's engine bay is labelled. Certainly all the standard stuff like fluid fill caps.

Definitely. I can't say I've worked on a ton of cars but I've been under the hood on a pretty wide variety from the past 20+ years, and I can't say I recall anything ever being a mystery unlabeled cap(especially when you consider how many warnings, lawyer labels, and other crap they print everywhere). What I have definitely seen, are people who are incapable of popping the hood of their own cars. Either they can't find the latch under the dash, or they can but then can't find it under the hood to actually open it.

Back