Hyperv networking nic teaming and vlans

alphabanks

n00b
I would like to bring up the topic of Hyper V networking and using nic teaming along with vlans via Windows Server 2012 R2. I come from a Vmware shop one of our sister companies is going Hyper V so I decided to read up on it. From what I've read you have to configure vlan tags on each individual vm. So I would like to ask why can't I just create a nic team in windows than create sub teams off of that? After that go into the Hyper V switch manager and create a vswitch that's attached to the sub teams nic. That way an admin does not have to go into each vm to assign a tag to a guest vm. I was reading that this is not recommended and you should tag each vm with the tag of your choice. I know that if you have a lot of vlans this would result in a lot of vswitches. However, if you are configuring management traffic or storage traffic than it's ok to use a sub team. So in short why is it not advised to use sub team interfaces with virtual switches?

These are the two articles I read also notice the comments of the Aidan Finn link. Matt was told by Aidan that he was configuring networking the wrong way.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithmay...-with-nic-teaming-in-windows-server-2012.aspx

http://www.aidanfinn.com/?p=10164#comment-199346

Are the Hyper-V hosts managed by VMM? If so, just create Logical Networks in VMM and use those to assign VLANs then you don't have to do it individually to each VM.

You can go the sub interface route but how is managing that so much easier than just using the GUI or Powershell to assign VLANs?

No VMM this is just normal Hyperv management. Also I've started getting into power shell more so I will use power shell to manage the vlans. After I get a feel for regular management I plan to configure VMM. I guess I was trying to say why is the sub interface route wrong. That was something the author of the article never gave an answer to.

Probably because you're jury rigging the hardware to get around configuring the software which is where you really should be doing it.

I mean you could do this with VMware and Cisco UCS, too. Create a slew of vNICs each with a single native VLAN configured and then you could create multiple vSwitches in VMware and not tag the VLAN. Why? The hypervisor tags the VLANs perfectly fine. Sure, Hyper-V is more cumbersome than VMware's port groups, but Powershell is a powerful tool and all you're really having to do is either run a single command or configure a VLAN at VM creation. Why re-architect the hardware layer to avoid something so simple?

Back