HyperThreading on Windows 98

Starbomba

Limp Gawd
I am building a retro gaming PC, here are my specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3 GHz HT SL6WK
Mobo: PCCHIPS P25G (VIA P4M800/ VIA VT8237R)
RAM: 2x512 MB Elixir DDR400
GPU: ATI Radeon 9200 128 MB DDR AGP 8x
HDD: WD Black 320 GB SATA HDD (limited to 137 GB)
ODD: Samsung DVD-RW SATA
PSU: Generic 400w PSU.

The thing is, the BIOS recognizes my CPU as having HT, however W98 does not. Is it a limitation of W98, or is there anything i can hack into the registry to enable that?

Windows 98? Install Windows 2000 instead. I know Win2k Pro can support up to 2 physical processors and Win2k Server can support 4. Therefore it might utilize HT on that P4.

Thanks for the replies. I use W98 due to the MS DOS support, W2k has lost that.

yes its a limitation and no there is nothing you can do. try dosbox in 2k or newer. its always worked fine for me, even run FT2 in win10 via dosbox.

That's way too much computer for win 98 retro box. That looks like a midrange xp setup. I know you gotta work with what you have on hand, but I think you're gonna run into more problems (drivers mainly) than just HT support...

That's way too much computer for win 98 retro box. That looks like a midrange xp setup. I know you gotta work with what you have on hand, but I think you're gonna run into more problems (drivers mainly) than just HT support...

I doubt that there would be driver issues. Northwood P4s with HT came out less than 3 years after Windows Me (which uses drivers that are compatible with Windows 98). Mainstream support for Windows Me had not even ended yet and almost all hardware companies still provided drivers for it at that point.

Biggest potential issue that I see is the Via chipset. Via chipset motherboards were absolute trash back then and I doubt they have gotten any better with age. Tons of Intel 845, 865, and 875 chipset motherboards can be found basically for free these days; no reason to use Via.

I liked via and their 4-in-1 drivers, never had a prob with them. and you are right he shouldn't have any probs finding drivers for 98(hopefully se).

Back