• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Hyperthreading Disabled Kills my Computer

GreenGoose

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 17, 2004
Messages
1,721
It has been mentioned that turning off hyperthreading can greatly increase performance in BF3.

When I turn off hyperthreading in my bios, weird things happen. My computer boots real slow and then runs in very slow motion: mouse movement, sounds, graphics, everything. Completely unusable because it is so slow. One of my storage hard drives no longer shows up in windows also when hyperthreading is disabled. I turned hyperthreading back on, and it all works perfectly fine and my storage hard drive shows back up.

WTF? Disabling hyperthreading should not cause any issue at all should it? Anyone else ever experience this?

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
Processor: Intel i7 920@3.9 stable for 3 years.
 
Um no that's not right at all... I don't know what is causing that...
 
Very helpfeul ;)

Indeed HT shouldn't do that. Any other changes you have made in the last day or so?

Nope. Just a simple bios change disabling hyperthreading borks my machine. I turn it back on and everything is perfectly fine.
 
Perhaps a bios design problem...

Do you have persistent core preference set up on any applications?
 
First check for a revised bios for your MB.

By disabling HT it may affect other Bios settings reverting them to default "safe" setting, but very slow. Turning HT back on would also change those settings also.

Check all settings related to CPU & memory timings with and without HT on to see if any of those change. Then other settings....
 
I'm running the newest bios. I haven't tried setting my clocks to stock but I thought I would try that when I get home. Another strange thing was core 4 was pegged to the max after I booted and it would not settle down. However, no processes showed to be utilizing any CPU cycles. With hyperthreading enabled no cores or hyper cores show any activity while idle and everything runs fine. This was the same on several reboots.
 
Unstable overclock. If you disable HT, you prolly need to go through motions to overclock the machine all over again.
 
Try an older BIOS revision.

Although yes, I would first try going back to stock clocks. If that doesn't work, reset BIOS. If that doesn't work, try older revision.
 
Grab a Linux live CD and see if the problem persists there too. Maybe it's some bunk system driver in Windows. What does CPU-Z show with HT off?
 
Back
Top