Hyperthreading and XP Pro Question

MalfurionStormrage said:
@Steel Chicken:

Could you confirm that you installed Windows XP Professional with the ACPI or MPS configuration, i.e. a standard install of Windows? If you selected Uniprocessor or Standard (which I do to force Windows to assign IRQs correctly) then Windows may not recognize your second processor and it's associated logical processor.

Also, have you looked at the system details page on 3DMark05 to see if it recognizes the two phyisical and two logical processors?

I did a default install, selected no unusal options except SATA drivers.
I dont have and wont use 3DMark05, but ill use CPUID when I get home this evening.

pic of HT enabled

CPUID only shows the 2 processors. Can someone with 2 Xeons & HT confirm it should show 4?

n/m got it working.
re-installed. did nothing different, but now it works.

how about that.

Steel Chicken said:
n/m got it working.
re-installed. did nothing different, but now it works.

how about that.

Weird. Good though.

I guess you didn't put water on the gremlins this time.

i see in the post that the xeons are running at 15x... are they ES chips, or are all xeons like that?

Looks like he has a pair of the famed low voltage 1.6 chips. And if I had to guess, I'd say they were D1 stepping, like mine. Their default multiplier is 16, but with a good overclock, they'll do 3.2ghz and beyond. They are pretty fantastic chips, and were dirt cheap on ebay for a while, averaging around $100 for a pair. I love my pair - 3.2ghz on water - a healthy 100% overclock.

Yep, 1.3V 1.6Ghz Chips.
They run 3.0Ghz stable, 3.2 unstable (boot but fail prime)

Ive got an extra pair as well, not sure if im gonna build another system or sell em yet.

cnealjr said:
Looks like he has a pair of the famed low voltage 1.6 chips. And if I had to guess, I'd say they were D1 stepping, like mine. Their default multiplier is 16, but with a good overclock, they'll do 3.2ghz and beyond. They are pretty fantastic chips, and were dirt cheap on ebay for a while, averaging around $100 for a pair. I love my pair - 3.2ghz on water - a healthy 100% overclock.
i know about the LV Xeons, but i didnt know they were downwardly unlocked... are all LV's like that?

lithium726 said:
i know about the LV Xeons, but i didnt know they were downwardly unlocked... are all LV's like that?

i think all of em are downward unlocked, but im not positive

Komataguri said:
am I the only one that got this reference? :D

Naw I got it, looks like he just shined some light inside before installing. Cleared 'em right out.

Just because he gave teh reference doesn't mean he's old. Just means he saw Gremlins.

defakto said:
Just because he gave teh reference doesn't mean he's old. Just means he saw Gremlins.

well its not exactly popular and shown on tv all the time like other old stuff like star wars
in fact, gremlins were some of the worst movies ever made

:p

Back