Hyperloop One Is Considering 11 US Routes for Its Futuristic Transport System

I believe the plan is for above ground vacuum tubes.

Which is even more expensive, since you now have to rate your pylons for the torque of high speeds. You know, instead of just letting the ground + poured concrete handle that.

High-speed raised railways are a lot more reasonably priced when things move flat and straight. And you can be sure that this will be neither of those, or it will never get built.

Last edited:
and what if them alohas decide to snackbar this thing, you know being such an obvious target, you think because of the vacuum it will be like in dead space? because no one can hear you scream in space

How about a space elevator first? ;)

Ha! Yeah, waiting on that one too :) trying to remember when I first heard of it... somewhere between 15-20 years ago :( but then again, making a massive amount of carbon nanotubes in a ribbon is no small endeavor. :)

I hope stuff like this takes off though. We've 'solved' the world-wide communication problem. Now for better transportation!

// still waiting for teleportation ;)

Ha! Yeah, waiting on that one too :) trying to remember when I first heard of it... somewhere between 15-20 years ago :( but then again, making a massive amount of carbon nanotubes in a ribbon is no small endeavor. :)

I hope stuff like this takes off though. We've 'solved' the world-wide communication problem. Now for better transportation!

// still waiting for teleportation ;)
The coolest stuff always seems 10-20 years away. Mobile technology is really the only thing I can think of which has delivered in a way equal to or beyond our past dreams of the future.

36% percent of the cross-section of the tube??? If the tube is 2m in diameter, then, using radius^2 * pi = area

2m diameter = 1m radius ^2 * pi = 3.14m^2 cross-section area of the pipe.

36% of that is... 1.131m^2

Using the same formula, radius would then equal .36m. (Obvious, but had to do it. It works this way due to the 1m radius.)

A pod which is .72m in diameter is... 29.92 inches in diameter. Subtract out the running gear, flooring, materials thickness, etc. It leaves with a humans duct-taped into sausage shapes and shoved into coffins. I have to think the 36% figure is wrong. Or, people of the future will be smaller.
Sorry I totally missed your post. I believe HyperLoop one looked at the initial specs from Elon Musk and decided the tube will need to be bigger for aerodynamic reasons.

Back