Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 Remote Management

Can I only connect to a Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 remotely with Windows 8?

I'm on Win 7 Pro/SP1 and whenever I launch my Hyper-V Manager from the RSAT (downloaded via URL it says "The operation on computer <host name> failed"

"change in the management stack that is not being back ported to RSAT"

Really?!

I think you have to be running Windows 8 to manage Hyper-V 2012 R2 remotely.

yeah. that's what I'm reading now. I've read I can "manage" H-V 2012 R2 via powershell but that isn't going to be fun. Fudge!

Yea it is really annoying.
To make it even worse, 8.1 can't manage 2008 R2 and lower Hyper-V!
They really need to make it so RSAT can manage more than +/- 1 version of their products.

Google "Corefig" and check out 5Nine Hyper-V manager. I'm successfully using both to manage a number of installs.

Thanks for the Corefig URL. Trying it out.

Another issue I just ran into is I moved the server from my LAN to a datacenter (different subnet). I have a VPN between the two locations and I can PING the HV server, but I can no longer manage the machine with my Windows 8.1 (and will try with Corefig). It *feels* like a Windows firewall issue kicking in because the HV server is no longer on the domain network.

Is there a rule of thumb that says when you make a new HV server and it's colocated, you don't have it join the company domain?

I drove over to the remote location where the server is yesterday and manually ran the powershell command to disable the Windows firewall:

Code:
Set-NetFirewallProfile -Profile Domain,Public,Private -Enabled False

but this morning I am still not able to remote manage it. I can get to the DRAC and do things via that, so all hope isn't lost. One odd thing about this server is that on the main "Server Configuration" screen, option 7, "Remote Desktop", it *always* says "Disabled" even though I enable it and even though I can successfully RDP to it (at least when it was on the LAN).

Ideas why I can't remote manage it now?

Thanks.

Just tried 5Nine Hyper-V manager, works very well - thanks!

5Nine is very nice. Free version is limited to managing 2 VM-hosts, which for many of us might not be a big deal but for me is a show-stopper. License is ~$200 per VM host managed. Seems pretty excessive for Home Labs or SOHO use to manage a vitalization solution that carries a $0 license (e.g., Hyper-V Server 2012 R2).

Like the product, but price/value calculation just doesn't work out.

I'm getting "The RPC server is unavailable" error on remote management through 5Nine - same wording for server management from an 8.1 PC.

... some time later.... looks like I had to fix some DNS issues. I was able to successfully resolve the HV server by host name from the LAN, but the HV server was unable to resolve by host name from it's LAN to me.

I'll have to check out the freebie version of home since I switched to Server 2012 Hyper-V. Thanks!

If I sign up to download 5Nine, am I going to get harassed with sales calls? I'd rather not for home use. I could give them a throwaway email and a bad number I suppose.

I took their download and have never heard a peep from them. Still good practice to have a throwaway email for these types of pre-download registrations.

Even better. Give an email address like [email protected] or whatever :)

In this case that won't work. They have a simple method of verifying that the email address is read: they deliver the software to you by sending a time-limited download link to that address. If you don't give them a live email they don't give you any software to run. Simple.

But...nothing says you have to give them the address you use every day. Nothing says you can't create a disposable email, get the link, download and then delete the email account. Equally simple.

Back