hyper-v Router

Thall860

Weaksauce
I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this concept, hence the reason I am doing it (to practice).

I have a home network with a DIR-655 router in the 192.168.5 subnet. attached to that router is a 2k8R2- HyperV box with two nics. One nic has an IP address 192.168.5.101 that connects to the home network so I can RDP in and such.

Here is my situation. My home network I am trying to keep basic. But I am building up VM's with DC's and exchange and all sorts of stuff. I dont want any of this stuff to interfere with my home network. I would either like to make a VM a router and attach the 2nd physical nic with an address of 192.168.5.102 and also attach the VM to an internal VM network. Is there a better way? I was trying to figure out the routing on my DIR-655 but gave up because I did not understand.

In the end my goal is to give my VM's Internet but not have them on my home network.

I dont have the ability to set that up with un-managed switches, but don't routers connect two different networks? So if I set up an internal router through a VM that will keep the two networks separate?

You could do this without VLANs... Create two virtual networks in HV, one external assigned to the unused nic, plug it into the router. The second network will be internal only, for sharing that connection with your VMs. Create a VM and install pfsense etc, attach two vnics to this vm, one on each network. WAN to the external connection, and the other to the internal...

Then just attach your other VMs to the Internal Virtual Network.

...hopefully that makes sense, it is kind of confusing to type, but it can work!

You could also set that external virtual network to be on the DMZ of your dlink, if you want to simulate a direct connection to the internet with the firewall vm as your only gateway.

Create a VM and install pfsense etc, attach two vnics to this vm, one on each network. WAN to the external connection, and the other to the internal...

Perfect, this is what I was thinking but had no idea if it would work or if it would separate the two networks how I would want.

Thank you for your reply!

In such a "double nat" setup don't forget to set up pfsense to allow WAN connections to/from reserved address space!

Set up a DMZ network for the servers.
You have a VM host.

Virtualize all of the servers.

Next, set up 3 vswitches on the server.

Connect vSwitch 1 to physical NIC 1. Connect Physical NIC 1 to the 'net connection.

Connect vSwitch 2 to physical NIC 2. Connect Physical NIC 2 to the home network, with your desktops on it.

Connect vSwitch 3 to nothing - this is the DMZ network.

Give pfSense VM interfaces on all 3 vSwitches.

Give the server VM interfaces on vSwitch 3.

Do not use the DIR-655 as a router. If you require WiFi, turn off DHCP on the DIR655 and connect it to the internal network, on vSwitch 2 (PHY nic 2).

Back