Hyper-V Replication 2012

Grentz

Fully [H]
Anyone using this yet?

Very cool feature, I am just having an issue with it on one of my hosts. I cannot select my second data drive as a replication destination (simple says it cannot use the selected location for a destination).

I have checked file permissions, and they are the same as the other storage disk that works fine. Only difference I can think of is that the non-working disk is formated as ReFS, while the other is NTFS.

Any ideas?

The Filesystem may be the issue, haven't run into that yet. If you get tired of working with that, or you can't change the FS, you might look at 3rd party software as well. I've used Hyperoo in the past to do a "Hot" scheduled replication of 2008 R2 servers to a standby Hyper-V server with great success for multiple clients. They just released their newest version that offers live and realtime replication similar to 2012. It's a little more flexible than MS's solution, but no Domain integration.

Darn, I really wanted to try ReFS out, but that could be a deal killer.

Thanks for the link on Hyperoo, thought I would like to stick with the stock replication for now to see how it works. (this is a semi lab setup, I use it for applications at home as well as messing around).

Are they the same drive letter? Thought I read that was a requirement.

No, they are not. But I dont see how that would work since these Hyper-V hosts both have multiple volumes (with differing drive letters) that both host the VHD files. (to distribute the IOPS between disks, since it is a small setup).

If you could find some more detail on that, I would be very interested. Before moving the data off and reformatting the drive.

Recreated the volume as NTFS and now it works. Guess Replicate does not like ReFS formatted volumes.

Back