Hyper V new VM fails on start

boatasiaus

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 23, 2006
Messages
183
Hi All
Hope someone can help me out with this one.

Hardware:
Dell PowerEdge T610, 12GB RAM,​

2 controller cards​

Host OS PERC 6iR with RAID 1; approx. 125GB free​

PERC 5iR with RAID 5; approx. 1TB free, previously formatted, with existing data


Completed a clean Windows Server 2008 R2 on the RAID 1, and updated. All drives are accessible.

Added the Hyper-V role. Tried to create a new virtual machine with 100 GB hard disk, storing the vhd file on the RAID 5 card.

The VM is created, but when it goes to start, I get the following errors:

“Could not initialize memory. There is not enough space on the disk. 0x80070070)”​

“Failed to create memory contents file D:\…”​

“VM failed to start. (Virtual machine ID…”​


And a few more all relating to insufficient storage space​


I tried to manually create a vhd file on the PERC 5iR. It was created with no problems, other than being very slow. When I tried to create a new VM using the previously created vhd file, it still fails with the errors above

I can create a VM on the Host OS PERC 6iR, but not when I try and use the second controller.

Any pointers are appreciated
 
RAM is set at 4GB

The vhd hard disk size is set at 100 GB

On the c: drive (where I can get the VM to install), there is 127GB free. On the D: drive, where I want to put the vhd files, there is close to 1TB free.
 
If you are locating files in some location other than the default, you have to modify your file system permissions to match those on the default location.

If you just add a drive and try to put the files there, the default permissions for Windows 2008 will not allow the Hyper-V service modify access to the VHD files. It will only have read-only access. When it can't access the files with modify rights, it will fail to start (assuming you aren't dealing with a read only base disk and your differencing files are in a location with modify access).
 
OK Additional testing

I can create a 100GB vhd using 512MB RAM. I can then expand the VM to 150GB, still at 512MB. VM starts successfully

Increase RAM on the VM to 1GB. VM starts

Increase RAM to 2GB, VM fails
 
Remove all of the vhd's from the vm settings. Then try to start the vm with various memory settings.

Hyper-v creates a ram backing file on the host, that is equal in size to the ram configured in the guest. By default, the ram backing file is in the directory created for the vm, under C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\Virtual Machines\.

It really does sound like you don't have the disk space to create the ram backing file.

Do you have compression, shadow copies, or encryption enabled for any of these drives on the host? Are any of the drives Configured as file shares? Antivirus running?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top