Hyper-V Networking Oddity

nismo_r34

Limp Gawd
I wiped out my ESXi whitebox last night and decided to check out Hyper-V, and now I'm having a strange networking problem I can only chalk up to Microsoft weirdness.

The box has 4 interfaces:

INT1: WAN, public subnet, hidden from host
INT2: DMZ, 10.0.10.0/24, hidden from host
INT3: LAN, 10.0.0.0/24, hidden from host
INT4: DMZ, 10.0.10.101/24

I have a pfsense VM running, connected to INT1, INT2 (10.0.10.1), and INT3 (10.0.0.1). It is successfully routing traffic between all three of those interfaces.

DHCP is running on the LAN interface.

The problem is with the management interface (INT4) in the host Windows install. Pings to the pfsense box at 10.0.10.1 fail, however I can both ping and RDP to the host from computers on the LAN and DMZ subnets.

Here's an ipconfig from the host:

Code:
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ether
net Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-01-29-A7-32-AE
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.10.101(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.10.1
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 4.2.2.2
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

I'm about to blow the box away and restart, which is annoying because I activated. Any ideas?

:confused:

I wiped out my ESXi whitebox last night and decided to check out Hyper-V, and now I'm having a strange networking problem I can only chalk up to Microsoft weirdness.

The box has 4 interfaces:

INT1: WAN, public subnet, hidden from host
INT2: DMZ, 10.0.10.0/24, hidden from host
INT3: LAN, 10.0.0.0/24, hidden from host
INT4: DMZ, 10.0.10.101/24

I have a pfsense VM running, connected to INT1, INT2 (10.0.10.1), and INT3 (10.0.0.1). It is successfully routing traffic between all three of those interfaces.

DHCP is running on the LAN interface.

The problem is with the management interface (INT4) in the host Windows install. Pings to the pfsense box at 10.0.10.1 fail, however I can both ping and RDP to the host from computers on the LAN and DMZ subnets.

Here's an ipconfig from the host:

Code:
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ether
net Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-01-29-A7-32-AE
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.10.101(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.10.1
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 4.2.2.2
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

I'm about to blow the box away and restart, which is annoying because I activated. Any ideas?

:confused:

Are you on a technet account using hyper v ? If so your fine for activations :)

Ok so interface 1 - 3 are only on the vms and 4 is the only interface showing up on the base OS correct? You sure the port is on the correct network?

Correct and yes, as I can successfully RDP to the box from another host (and i traced it).

Correct and yes, as I can successfully RDP to the box from another host (and i traced it).

So it can get to other host just not the gateway? Can the host using the virtual NIC for interface 2 get to it?

The Hyper-V Host cannot communicate to anything on the 10.0.10.0/24 subnet, except itself (loopback).

The virtual machine communicates successfully to all hosts on the 10.0.10.0/24 and 10.0.0.0/24 subnets.

If you haven't already try to swap the cables for ports 2 and 4 and make sure the VM can still talk, would let you know that the switch port at least is still working. You could also share port 2 so that the base OS is able to use it in addition to the VMs

The hyper-v part of that shouldn't effect the base OS from connection to anything. That is just a basic networking issue at that point. Either switch issue, cable issue, NIC issue or general networking issue. Since the VMs connect it is hyperV that is part of the issue. I'm guessing if was working fine before correct with the old software so probably not any issues with the switch side

Reformatted and reinstalled Windows and the problem is now nonexistent, go go Microsoft.

Switching back to ESXi for my alternative-OS virtualization needs.

Odd, glad that you got it working. I have a hyper-v server at work and it likes to be happy with its 8 nics ;) will say when it comes to know windows OSs running as vms it doesn't do as good of a job with them. I have some Centos 5 and 6 VMs running but with the same level of integration as with the windows ones.

Back