Hyper-v (free) delete .vhd

Ehren8879

Supreme [H]ardness
I've recently started playing with the free Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 and have been able to create a test virtual disk and get a virtual machine loaded. All this using the RSAT tools Hyper-V Manager. Although the learning curve is surprisingly steep, I've gotten use to that recently :)

Now that I'm satisfied with the test VM I'd like to know how to delete the virtual disk. I have been able to remove the disk from the VM and delete the VM itself, but the .vhd file persists. While I suppose I could rename the .vhd file and or transform it, there's got to be a way of deleting outright, no?

I've recently started playing with the free Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 and have been able to create a test virtual disk and get a virtual machine loaded. All this using the RSAT tools Hyper-V Manager. Although the learning curve is surprisingly steep, I've gotten use to that recently :)

Now that I'm satisfied with the test VM I'd like to know how to delete the virtual disk. I have been able to remove the disk from the VM and delete the VM itself, but the .vhd file persists. While I suppose I could rename the .vhd file and or transform it, there's got to be a way of deleting outright, no?

you mean delete it off the system ? Go to where it is stored, and delete it..

I can probably do it from command line or ssh the host, but I was trying to find a way to do it in the Hyper-V Manager software. I figured since I could setup the virtual disks, and completely manage the virtual machines, I could do something as simple as delete a virtual disk.

Nevermind, I've jumped ship to ESXi and not looking back.

Last edited:
Back