Hyper-V Exchange Server

/usr/home

Supreme [H]ardness
Weird thing here. So I got home tonight and opened up Outlook to check my mail. Here it won't connect to my Exchange server. Oh great. I remote into the Hyper-V server and open up the Exchange VM. Here Exchange isn't even installed on there. There's no registry settings, no program folders, no nothing. Not even a trace of Exchange. Well WTF. The other VMs are fine... I try to restore from last night's backup, same problem. So now I have to reinstall Exchange in Recovery Mode (which is actually really easy.) I just don't know WTF happened to the VM. I didn't have any snapshots or anything, it just messed up.

Let us know if you find out what happened. Any logs on the Hyper-V server you can check out?

What a pain. So I got Exchange 2010 reinstalled by doing a Recovery Mode setup. I get everything reconfigured. It kept some settings from the old server in AD so it pulled those back. That part went smoothly. Here it's looking for the old Mailbox database which doesn't exist since there's no program files folder so I try to delete it and it tells my to move the arbitation stuff and blah blah. I tried moving it to a new database, no go. I tried to delete them manually through the shell, no go. I eventually had to go to a DC and use ADSI and ADUC and remove the "users" in there and then I was able to the remove the missing database, create a new one, and recreate my user mailboxes. What a PITA.

Exported the VM fully configured now so we'll see if it happens again.

There had to be a snapshot or something. I can't think of any other way this could have happened.

Agreed. Did you create a snapshot before initially installing Exchange? Maybe it got reverted back to that point?

Agreed. Did you create a snapshot before initially installing Exchange? Maybe it got reverted back to that point?

If I did, it wasn't intentional. I couldn't find anything in the logs so idk. It's working now though.

Just make sure you make a "good configuration" snapshot and store it elsewhere. It should save you some agony in the future.

How do you do your HyperV backups?

Like any other server. Just because its a VM doesnt mean you have to back up the actual physical VHD's.

My problem is that with Windows Server Backup its always told me I cannot create more than 1 backup if using a network share. Lame.

If you are going to backup Hyper-V VHD to a network share, You might look at backuping up via script instead. If you have the capacity on the network share, you can backup multiple copies of the VHD. This work great backing up to an RDX drive.
Look here.
http://serverfault.com/questions/55...per-v-images-using-volume-shadow-copies-vss-a

Either that, or if you have iSCSI capability, you might expose a Target to the Exchange VM so it has direct access to a drive instead to enable nested backups.

Back