Hyper-V dynamic memory - not working?

hardware_failure

[H]ard|Gawd
I have been working with Hyper-V alot on 2012 (non-core, full version)

Dynamic memory is an awesome thing... when it works.

I have noticed alot of inconsistent results when assigning VM's dynamic memory. For example, I have 5 win7pro 32bit VM's. 2 of them work beautifully with dynaimc memory, 3 of them do not, ie I will give one of the three 2048 startup ram, 512 minimum and 4096 max. They never ever change from 2048. Everything has the most current integration services installed. I have one win732bit that is an almost bare install, just office and 2 apps on it (for testing) and it never drops below 2048, its pretty much always at 0% cpu and it says its only using 22% of its allocated ram. Yet I have another win732 box with the exact same settings running tons of stuff and it throttles down to ~1900MB of ram all the time. I have tried all kinds of different combinations of startup/min/max ram. I also have a handfull of 2003 VMs, 1 of 4 does not seem to work with dynamic memory. Also, if I assign a startup of 512 and a dynamic max to 4096, the problem VM's be stuck at 512, so essentially I think they are being stuck at the startup ammount and not working with dynamic memory allocation.

Long story short - what would cause a VM on 2012 hyperV to not work with / use dynamic memory?

Thanks for any feedback.

Unless things have changed since Server 2008, you need Enterprise or Ultimate to support dynamic memory.

Unless things have changed since Server 2008, you need Enterprise or Ultimate to support dynamic memory.
That is it! The offending VM's are indeed pro and not enterprise. (same for the 2003, which I now see is xp pro not server 2003)

Thank you so much!

Anyone know of a "fix" to enable dynamic memory support in pro versions of windows?

And BTW thanks Microsoft, makes great sense. :rolleyes:

That is it! The offending VM's are indeed pro and not enterprise. (same for the 2003, which I now see is xp pro not server 2003)

Thank you so much!

Anyone know of a "fix" to enable dynamic memory support in pro versions of windows?

And BTW thanks Microsoft, makes great sense. :rolleyes:

Only "fix" would be to upgrade to Win 8 Pro which does support dynamic memory. :D

Back