Hyper-V doesn't work on Core i5-760?

brons2

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to install Hyper-V on Server 2008 R2, but not having much success.

In order to get around the requirement that all server OS's go through our outsourcing contractor, I am trying to build a Hyper-V setup on a desktop. This is necessary to support some development efforts, we are using Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate and want to set up Lab Management, which taps into Hyper-V.

The machine is an HP Compaq Elite 8100 Small Form Factor with a Core i5-760, 16GB of RAM and two 1TB hard drives in a RAID-1 configuration.

After some trials and tribulations I got Server 2008R2 Enterprise installed in the RAID 1 configuration. But when I added the Hyper-V role, it gives me error messages. The Hypervisor doesn't start. I looked in the event logs and found the following reason: "Hyper-V launch failed; Either VMX not present or not enabled in BIOS."

Well I looked on Intel's web site and the CPU does support the virtualization bit but it apparently does not support DEP, and Hyper-V claims to need both. http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=48496

So now I am wondering what my options are. Is there another proc that is socket-compatible that supports these extensions, that I can slide right into the machine and be on my merry way with a working Hyper-V configuration?

Most likely virtualization features need enabled in the bios.

I've seen it with several labels. Virtualization techonology, or it might flat out say VT-x for instance.

The i5-760 definitely supports DEP. Intel refers to this as the "Execute Disable Bit" I think which might be a setting in the BIOS, should be in the same section as the virtualization features defuseme was talking about. In addition to this, DEP must also be turned on at the OS level although it should have been on by default.

For Win 2008 go to Control Panel | System | Advanced System Settings | Advanced tab | Performance Settings... | Data Execution Prevention tab and make sure the radio button is set to on (will require a reboot if you change it).

Should work fine. Start with flashing latest BIOS and double checking VT-xxx is enabled in it.

It's in the bios, i had same issue turn on virtualization feature under cpu features.

I can't find any options in the BIOS on this HP machine for enabling virtualization support. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Hyper-V but I got the same results. "Either VMX not present or not enabled in BIOS". UGHHHHhhhhhh.

wonder if there's any 3rd party BIOS available for this system. sigh.

Have you tried contacting HP?

It was probably left out on purpose... :(

HP leaves it out of their bios on desktop machines do you have to buy servers it seems. Dell have it available in their bios

which specific model. I find models from HP in the elite 8100 series that have VT-d according to HP documentation.

I can't find any options in the BIOS on this HP machine for enabling virtualization support. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Hyper-V but I got the same results. "Either VMX not present or not enabled in BIOS". UGHHHHhhhhhh.

wonder if there's any 3rd party BIOS available for this system. sigh.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01991144/c01991144.pdf

According to that (bottom of page 3) the Virtualization option is in System Security settings of all places :rolleyes: the DEP is also BIOS controlled in the same spot. Not sure if you thought to look there. Also what version of the BIOS are you using? The support site says the most current version is 1.07A, couldn't hurt to update if you aren't running that already.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01991144/c01991144.pdf

According to that (bottom of page 3) the Virtualization option is in System Security settings of all places :rolleyes: the DEP is also BIOS controlled in the same spot. Not sure if you thought to look there. Also what version of the BIOS are you using? The support site says the most current version is 1.07A, couldn't hurt to update if you aren't running that already.

Thanks, that worked!!!

Can't believe I missed that setting. I feel like such a dolt! Oh well. Now, to install a LinuxVM :D

Back