Hyper-V and exchange 2010 questions

moose517

Gawd
Hey guys, need some help figuring something out. I have a server running server 2008 R2, recently i installed hyper V to play around with some VM's on it. I created the virtual network and set it as external so other devices could access. Problem is now my WHS i must address by IP to access its shared folders from the 2008 server, it won't resolve by name now. Any clues as to why that could be?

Second, exchange server, i must be a noob, got it installed but i'm not sure where to go from there to setup email accounts and such, i created one and when i emailed it from my aol account to test it went to my old email account. I use godaddy for domain control and i pointed the imap, SMTP, and pop at my server but it still went to my old account from godaddy hosted email. any clues why godaddys email servers still got the email?

crap, i just realized i was still in the data storage section, if a mod could move to networking i would appreciate it.

Check your DNS settings on the WHS. Make sure it is pointing to your Domain Controller for DNS. Then configure the domain controller's DNS to forward to your ISP's DNS server for names your DC cannot resolve (do this in the forwarder tab).

Sounds like you don't have an MX record pointing to your Exchange server so machines on the internet are still resolving your mail server to GoDaddy. You need to define the MX record on GoDaddy's DNS servers. Can't help you with specifics there as I have never used GoDaddy before.

DNS is all correct, the problem didn't start till i installed the hyper V and it created the virtual network.

As for the MX record it is set to my IP which is why i'm confused.

Have you allowed port 25 in on your router and mapped it to the private IP? Exchange isn't really for noobs, I have 2007 running at home and it took hours to setup.

Yup port 25 is opened, verified via shields up and the fact that i had to open it on my ASA. I'll check with a buddy maybe he can help since he has VPN access to my network, he runs exchange 2010

Back