• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Hyper Threading i5/i7

Domingo

Fully [H]
Joined
Jul 30, 2004
Messages
24,224
One thing that keeps coming up in the i5 discussions is hyper threading. From what I've picked up, I believe the dual core i5's have HT while the quad core versions don't. That might be incorrect, but anyway - here's my question:

In terms of real world performance, how much difference does HT make?
 
HT will help with multithreaded applications and with heavy multitasking. Most people wouldn't see any real-world difference, but people who do a lot of image and video editing, encoding, working with virtual machines, and those kinds of things would see a benefit from HT.
 
Thanks for the good answer. I'm assuming that only games specifically coded for HT will see serious benefits from it?
Most of my editing won't be done on my home PC, so I doubt I'll really benefit from that.
 
And more and more games are (hopefully) going to be multithreaded. And, unless I'm wrong on my information, only the lowest quad core will NOT have HT, the others will.
 
And, unless I'm wrong on my information, only the lowest quad core will NOT have HT, the others will.
You are wrong. The quad-core i5 CPUs will not have HT. Only i7 CPUs and dual-core chips will.
 
HT is a godsend for video encoding. Videogames? Well, not so much, but if you leave applications running in the background it can keep your experience playable.
 
Back
Top