• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Hyper-threading and BF3

needmorecarnitine

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
4,609
So I recall reading some people saying they thought hyper threading was causing problems with BF3. Have those problems been resolved? Was it through a patch or just turning HT off? Did the problem ever really exist?
 
From what I remember, HT caused stuttering in the launch version. Pretty sure it's been fixed now but I wouldn't know. BF3 does use up to 6(?) threads, so you would see a performance benefit with HT enabled.
 
I have been playing BF3 since it launched and haven't had any issues on either my i5-680 or i7-980X and both have HT enabled. I have seen BF3 use all 12 threads of my 980X so I would leave it on.
 
It also seemed to only really affect Nehalem chips, the Sandy Bridge ones didn't seem to suffer from the stuttering.
 
I never really got stuttering on my 920. I read that the last patch was suppose to fix it. I do get crappy fps. I got better fps on my gtx 295 than my gtx 480. I think its because the 295 was dx10 only.
 
I had an i7 870, played the Beta and then the release and had no issues.
 
I had an i7 870, played the Beta and then the release and had no issues.

Same CPU here... Never had stuttering with either Beta or full version of BF3. I paid for 8 threads, and I'm using them all...;)
 
I think the issue was with the nvidia drivers. I have a i7 860 and 6950 and have been playing since launch with HT on and haven't had an issue
 
I thought the issue was with Sandy Bridge? In any case, with HT enabled, BF3 stuttered like a mother fucker. It was much more playable with it disabled. With the latest patch, it's been playable with HT enabled so it looks like EA fixed it.
 
It also seemed to only really affect Nehalem chips, the Sandy Bridge ones didn't seem to suffer from the stuttering.

I have sandy bridge and it was stuttering bad during initial release. I had to turn off HT. Over time, it become smooth as butter.
 
920 here, HT on, Core Parking disabled, no stuttering since BF3 launch (or beta, for that matter)
 
Sandy Bridge did suffer from stuttering issues and as far as I can tell many are still afflicted by the issues.
 
So i turned HT back on today, and i can say that there is no stuttering.

However, i'm still not getting full GPU usage, i average around 75% usage on my SLI GTX480's, and my frames match my buddy's single 570. Can i chalk this one up to drivers? or is his 2500k @ stock really that much better than my i7 930 @ 3.2ghz at pushing graphics cards?
 
He's 2500K stock is that much better. Your 920 should shine around 3.8-4.0ghz in BF3
 
I can't say that is has long been fixed...

I recently bought a video card that could actually play it... and it was stuttering like crazy...

I disabled core parking, and the stuttering went away. I have a hunch that if your machine is GPU bound (and mine definitely is with my 6870), if your CPU usage is low enough (mine is sitting at about 30% in big battles), windows will start parking cores, which seems to cause it.

It obviously depends on the machine.

So if you are getting stuttering, try disabling core parking. For me disabling HT was not an option, I didn't buy the 2600K to disabled parts of it.
 
Glad the issue seems to be resolved since I am making the plunge for an i7-3930k later this month. I was kinda concerned before I read it all.
 
He's 2500K stock is that much better. Your 920 should shine around 3.8-4.0ghz in BF3

HT on or off? Im having major troubles with it on - needing 1.25v for 3.6, ht on. With my buddy's 920, he gets 4.0 HT on at that voltage.
 
I disabled core parking on both my I7-2011 desktop and I7-FCPGA988 Laptop and it is quite improved overall.

I am wondering if you dozer users would benefit at all from this? I would check it if I were you AMD guys.
 
Wow assume

i had to turn off HT to stop the micro stutters in BF3. I am using a Core i7 sandy

i will try to disable core parking when i get home.
 
I never got shuddering until my my x58 920 would come out of s3 sleep. It would shudder like crazy until I would reboot. I think the core parking had something to do with it and I haven't had many problems after disabling core parking
 
i bought a 2600k recently and have been having problems with stuttering. playing with HT disabled got rid of them, but disabling core parking turned out to be a permanent solution. so +1 to disabling core parking. fixed the game for me.
 
Back
Top