• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Hyper-Threading 4% drop with IntelBurnTest, so...

IanM

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 20, 2007
Messages
1,289
...at what point does Hyper-Threading become useful for home desktop use and gaming?

The 4% performance drop in IntelBurnTest makes sense as the CPU is being pushed to maximum load without Hyper-Threading, and I can't imagine the performance penalty is as high under normal applications and games - as under more typical circumstances the CPU probably has processing to spare for managing multiple threads.

Hyper-threading is primarily for multi-tasking, I rarely have more than 3-4 applications open plus anti-virus in the background, and when I play games the applications are closed down. So can I benefit from Hyper-Threading or is it mostly going to cause a performance hit - albeit one so small that it will go unnoticed?
 
The way I see it, those extra threads allow me to keep my background programs (such as web browser, antivirus, etc) running while I play games or do other tasks, and not impact performance noticeably. But then again, this i7 rig is so much faster than anything I have used before performance "hits" are not seat-of-the-pants noticed by me at all.
 
The way I see it, those extra threads allow me to keep my background programs (such as web browser, antivirus, etc) running while I play games or do other tasks, and not impact performance noticeably. But then again, this i7 rig is so much faster than anything I have used before performance "hits" are not seat-of-the-pants noticed by me at all.

As I read the first portion of your post, I glanced down at your sig and thought to myself "this dude has an i7 why in the hell is he worried about leaving firefox/chrome whatever and an antivirus open."

I'm glad you made sense of it all for me at the end there. You really know how to tie things together my man.
 
I'm glad you made sense of it all for me at the end there. You really know how to tie things together my man.

As an engineer I have to do that all the time, and dumb things down for managers much less intelligent than most of the members of this BB :D
 
Back
Top