Hyper Cloud X Orbit S Headset

Oddly enough Hyper X has a good track record with headsets, mostly due to OEM parts from Beyerdynamic. This looks to be rebranded Audeze, but we will see.

These are Plannar Magnetic gaming headphones couldn't find the S version but found the regular version on Amazon.

Same here. For that price or less you could get a pair of headphones and separate mic (modmic, minimic) that would blow away that and any other headset in both sound and build quality. Plus those buttons and dials on and under the Orbit's earcup make it look super cheesy, like wireless AM/FM headphones.

Discrete components are always better.

Recently, there's been a lot of talk & hype about the new AKG K371 closed-back headphones -- as I'm already a Cooler Master MH751 owner, this really intrigues me (one of the best headphone reviewers, metal571, loves it). It's on my short list for purchase, along with the Takstar HF 580, and possibly the Monoprice Monolith M570s, which supposedly use the same planar magnetic driver as the HF 580 and the Sendy Aiwa).

Side note: been using the Sennheiser HD 58x headphone + mic for about 2 months now, and it's quite a solid open-back headphone -- I really like the overall sound.

The HyperX Cloud Orbit is, essentially, a "redone" version of the Audeze Mobius (which I also own). I'm not really expecting many differences between the Orbit and the Mobius, besides the price.

Recently, there's been a lot of talk & hype about the new AKG K371 closed-back headphones -- as I'm already a Cooler Master MH751 owner, this really intrigues me (one of the best headphone reviewers, metal571, loves it). It's on my short list for purchase, along with the Takstar HF 580, and possibly the Monoprice Monolith M570s, which supposedly use the same planar magnetic driver as the HF 580 and the Sendy Aiwa).

Side note: been using the Sennheiser HD 58x headphone + mic for about 2 months now, and it's quite a solid open-back headphone -- I really like the overall sound.

The HyperX Cloud Orbit is, essentially, a "redone" version of the Audeze Mobius (which I also own). I'm not really expecting many differences between the Orbit and the Mobius, besides the price.

How does Mobius compare to the HD 58x sound quality-wise?

Audeze Mobius strengths (in its Hi-Res 2Ch mode, on "flat" EQ setting, via Mobius Software) re: HD 58x --
  • Overall superior bass, especially sub-bass (slams deeper, harder, more impactful, smoother, and cleaner). The HD 58x "booms", as many dynamic driver headphones do, but there is less "rumble" and "depth". It's like having a karate guy punch you 50 times in a minute, vs Sonny Liston/George Foreman (2 boxers particularly known for their power) punch you 30-45 times in a minute. Bad example, but it's the best I can think of.
  • Treble is also smoother & just as detailed as the HD 58x, and it's more forgiving on bad recordings (like some YouTube stuff).
  • Overall sound signature of the HD 58x is less refined and considerably more grainy, less detailed.
Audeze Mobius weaknesses (in its Hi-Res 2Ch mode, on "flat" EQ setting, via Mobius Software) re: HD 58x --
  • If you like boomy mid-bass more than rumbling, the HD 58x is for you (although even then, the Mobius bass is cleaner and more impactful, overall).
  • Closed-back (I prefer open-back for headphones in general, gaming/music/movies/whatever), so instrumentation/effects can seem a bit "cluttered", at times, because the soundstage isn't nearly as big (that issue is "fixed" when you switch the Mobius into its 7.1 gaming mode, but the overall sound quality dips as well).
In short, the Sennheiser HD 58x is a very versatile headphone: "one size fits all", and behaves accordingly, for a good price point.
The Audeze Mobius is a much more flexible headphone: "does a lot of stuff well/jack-of-all-trades" (due to its multiple built-in settings), but also has some setbacks (costs more than 2x the HD 58x at their respective MSRP). I definitely wouldn't recommend using the "stereo setting" (useless, except for some rough comparisons), and would go with the Hi-Res mode for music/movies, and 7.1 for gaming/movies (depending on preference -- the difference in sound quality between the Hi-Res and 7.1 modes is very noticeable). Bluetooth on the Mobius is only good when you can enable the very good LDAC mode (good enough, that it's difficult to distinguish between that and the Hi-Res 2Ch mode).

I can't clearly recommend the Mobius over the HD 58x, simply b/c closed-back vs open-back is, IMO, a big deal for a lot of folks. The best way to put it, is that the Mobius is a top-tier, very expensive, closed-back gaming headphone, bar none, while the HD 58x is a "price/performance", "bang-for-buck" all-around, open back headphone.

Note: Audeze has just released the LCD-1, which (according to respected reviewer metal571 and others) is the "true successor" to the venerable HD 600/650/6xx and 660S (blows 'em all out of the water, big time) -- better treble and better bass, and it's a lot lighter than the vast majority of Audeze headphones (who have a reputation for being quite heavy). Open-back, too. That's earned it a spot on my short list for purchase.

Note 2: this isn't my full review of the Mobius (there are enough features in this thing, that the review is taking a lot longer to finish than I expected, especially when comparing it to my other headphones, like the MH751) -- also, work has been killing me (in a good way) for almost all of this year.

tungt88 thanks for the write-up it helped a lot; I assume you're a regular at head-fi too? :D

I went as far up as LCD-3 / TH-900 but what gets the most head time is my Logitech G533 w/ upgraded pads because of the convenience of being wireless..... I might sell my whole collection and just grab a pair of Mobius on Black Friday.

tungt88 thanks for the write-up it helped a lot; I assume you're a regular at head-fi too? :D

I went as far up as LCD-3 / TH-900 but what gets the most head time is my Logitech G533 w/ upgraded pads because of the convenience of being wireless..... I might sell my whole collection and just grab a pair of Mobius on Black Friday.

I'm a regular there as well as reddit (r/headphones and r/HeadphoneAdvice), but I post more on reddit than head-fi (where I'm more of a lurker).

My biggest "beef" with the Mobius isn't its sound quality (which is actually quite good); it's with the software, which has an annoying tendency to be wonky (after recent updates, much better than when Kyle did his review, but still). Also of note is the annoying charging time. The wireless implementation is Bluetooth only, which was a big mistake, IMHO (in that it restricts the wireless aspect greatly) -- Kyle's negative review of the Mobius brings up a lot of the Mobius's weak points quite well.

In short, the Mobius is a "jack-of-all-trades" that shines really well in some areas, and not so great in others -- YMMV. Metal571, in his review of the Mobius, also does a good job of highlighting its weaknesses.

I'm definitely hoping that the Audeze LCD-1 will, indeed, be that "versatile, all-around headphone" that the Mobius doesn't quite end up being -- in that aspect, I see the Mobius as "revolutionary" (simply due to the mass of features on it), but also needs a lot of work and refinement to be asking gamers $399 (yes, for that price they are getting a lot, but it's also out of the range of a lot of gamers, and has enough issues to be troublesome -- the good news is that Audeze does have software/hardware updates to the Mobius, one of which fixed a number of big issues). Metal571 also mentions in his comments (on either his YouTube review or Reddit, I forgot) that the LCD-1 is a much, much better headphone than the HD 58x (and much, much better than the HD 600/650/6xx), so that does fill me with a good amount of confidence (he and solderdude of DIY Audio Heaven being the reviewers I trust most -- RTINGS is a very distant third).

I still feel very confident that the Mobius is a lot better than, say, the Corsair Virtuoso (which, from what I've read, doesn't inspire me with a lot of confidence). It's a shame, because a truly good, "audiophile" gaming headphone/headset from Corsair would be really nice to see (as it is, they still have a lot of work before they approach Sennheiser/Beyerdynamic level, to use two highly-respected names in both gaming and general audio).

After all, it's no accident that the Sennheiser PC 37x and (even more so) the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 are, respectively, very venerable parts of the mid and high ends of "gaming headsets" (since they are direct gaming "adaptations" of solid headphones in their regular audio lineup).

Last edited:
so long they not use a rotary / slider for volume controls .. I so hate my set for that very reason, love the sound, overall comfort and great durability, I imagine would not be all terribly complicated to do something about the stupid rotary dial to prevent cutting of sound / only one side if blink at it the wrong way.

I heard was not an uncommon problem at all, if the rotary / switch was more of a sealed unit (prevent contamination with dust, moisture, oils) would help big time...given nothing I have seen Kingston anything is dollar a dozen.

Thanks for sharing (^.^)

so long they not use a rotary / slider for volume controls .. I so hate my set for that very reason, love the sound, overall comfort and great durability, I imagine would not be all terribly complicated to do something about the stupid rotary dial to prevent cutting of sound / only one side if blink at it the wrong way.

I heard was not an uncommon problem at all, if the rotary / switch was more of a sealed unit (prevent contamination with dust, moisture, oils) would help big time...given nothing I have seen Kingston anything is dollar a dozen.

Thanks for sharing (^.^)

Thanks! I'm OK w/the rotary dial on my Mobius, but I hear where you're coming from -- broke the rotary dial on my Sennheiser PC 360 G4ME several years ago (solder issue, I think), and it's been very wonky ever since (attempting to reglue the dial back only partially fixed the issue).

Cab I join the thread? looking for wireless headphone (dont care about mic) which uses usb dongle to connect to ps4 or pc (ps4 slim dont have optical so that's either controller jack or usb dongle). Hyperx Flight seems like one of best choices right now.
What is so special about that wired AKG headphone? wasnt akg sold few years ago ?

Cab I join the thread? looking for wireless headphone (dont care about mic) which uses usb dongle to connect to ps4 or pc (ps4 slim dont have optical so that's either controller jack or usb dongle). Hyperx Flight seems like one of best choices right now.
What is so special about that wired AKG headphone? wasnt akg sold few years ago ?

1. Not an expert on wireless, but in almost all cases, wireless headphones are considerably inferior in overall sound quality to a comparably-priced wired pair (you are essentially paying extra for the "convenience" of being wireless). In short, for the same price you pay for a wireless, you can get a much better sounding wired pair. That having been said, many enjoy the wireless convenience, so if that's your need, a decent place to start is here: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/best
  2. What's "special" about that AKG headphone is that many reviews and reviewers (subjective, objective, and everything in-between) really like that headphone -- in particular, reviewers that I trust (who are not quasi-marketing shills for the headphone manufacturers). From all accounts, it's a really competitively priced closed-back headphone, which is versatile enough for all sorts of things, from studio mixing/editing to gaming. As to how good that headphone is? metal571 claims it's considerably better than practically all of the closed-back headphones in it's price range (and many priced higher); also, a solid match against many open-back headphones (like the venerable Sennheiser HD 600/650/6xx lines), with the (usual) caveat of open-back vs closed-back (as per preference). In short, it may well be the absolute best "bang-for-buck" closed-back headphone on the market today (and just a few months ago, I'd have said either the CoolerMaster MH751 or the Creative Aurvana Live [CAL] were tops in that category).
  3. AKG was indeed sold some years back to Samsung, and while some of the AKG engineers left (forming their own, avant-garde audio company), they are still putting out some really good (and really competitive) headphones, as their new K371 (and the lesser version, the K361) shows.

Back