Hyper 212+ or Corsair H50 for new 2600k setup?

jrhea

n00b
I am getting a 2600k setup going once all the parts get in tomorrow. I plan to overclock as much as I can. I have a Hyper 212 that I paid $30 for and a Corsair H50 that I paid $55 for at my local bestbuy.

Which one would you recommend I use? I don't want to open them both as I will sell the one I don't use.

Also, I will dual fan either one in push/pull, what aftermarket fans will perform the best (without sounding like a jet engine)?

John

Hyper 212+ is the better cooler. A push pull on it will let you max out your sandy bridge.

the H50 is better i had a Corsair A50 on my core i7 870 @ 4ghz and it would hit 80c on most cores and with my H50 max cores will hit 72-73c at most when running linx, the h50 wont show that much of a difference at ideal temps, but it will when under load. and replace the stock h50 fan with better fans do a push/pull config and you will be good to go.

the H50 is better i had a Corsair A50 on my core i7 870 @ 4ghz and it would hit 80c on most cores and with my H50 max cores will hit 72-73c at most when running linx, the h50 wont show that much of a difference at ideal temps, but it will when under load. and replace the stock h50 fan with better fans do a push/pull config and you will be good to go.

How so? The load temps , If lower, Will only be by a little. The 212 will be quieter because it has less wind resistance in between the fans. I would think the larger surface area and 4 heat pipes would be better than the 2 small streams of water flowing through the block, But i guess with a high flow it wouldn't matter. You can sell the h50 for more money to buy extra goodies and know that the 212+ will keep a 5.0 ghz 2600k cool.

First The load temps will be around 6-10c lower then that of the 212+
Second The H50 Will in Fact be quieter then the 212+ Even with the Push/Pull
Third Water Moves Heat more Effective Then Air Does Its a Proven Fact.

The Add on Bouns The H50 is Made by Corsair Which is a Stand up Comany, knows who to treat there customer's And has the Best Rma Service,Best Warranty,Customer Service and Best products around.

@ the O.P for the Fans for H50 i would go with some like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186033

Last edited:
Push/pull on the 212 is pointless, the widely spaced fins don't impede flow much.

If you fiddle with your rig much, not having a huge tower in the middle of the mobo is a nice convenience. I'd go with the H50, it looks better, might cool very slightly better and makes working on your rig a breeze.

H50 in its single fan configuration is only a bit better than the 212+. However, add another fan on there, and it's a whole different story. The high fin density of the H50 makes it work much better with an additional fan. Plus, no RAM clearance issues to worry about, or stress on your motherboard.

First The load temps will be around 6-10c lower then that of the 212+
Second The H50 Will in Fact be quieter then the 212+ Even with the Push/Pull
Third Water Moves Heat more Effective Then Air Does Its a Proven Fact.

The Add on Bouns The H50 is Made by Corsair Which is a Stand up Comany, knows who to treat there customer's And has the Best Rma Service,Best Warranty,Customer Service and Best products around.

@ the O.P for the Fans for H50 i would go with some like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186033

If they have the same fans i still think the 212 will be quieter, as for cooling yes it will be about 6-10 degrees cooler but the temps wont be very high with the 212+ so its not like it matters to much. The h50 will look better. but you can use the money for the h50 on something useful. The 212 cash wont be enough to be useful for anything other than buying new fans for the h50 Whereas if you sell the h50 you can buy 2 silent fans and have some cash left over.

The H50 is a bit better. If $20-30 means anything to you, then kep the 212. Otherwise, the H50 is pretty neat Imo. I got the 212 b/c I am puting my wife through college and ALWAYS have to take the lower cost. Either product will work fine though.

Whichever one you like more go with. No need to worry about it.

There both going to do a great job on the SB chips.. That said I would keep the 212, just because the h50 will sell for more.. this is of course assumeing you have a case big enough to hold either without a problem.

+1 for H50 running 4ghz on mine with no problems w/ 2x 120mm fans on it (1 pushing, 1 pulling)

Thanks for all the responses. I am sticking with the H50. I have heard the fan that comes with it is not very good.. Any other suggestions on fans and how much reduction would be expected in temp from two good fans in a push pull on the H50?

John

I too, am wondering between these 2 cooling options. I'm a little worried because there are a LOT of 1 star reviews on Newegg with the H50 pumps breaking and the liquid leaking; trashing mobos and GPUs.

as has been said the H50 will cool better but it seems like a marginal increase in cooling capacity for a lot of risk. maybe i'm a bit too conservative but why risk water leaks etc. for such a small increase in cooling? particularly on Sandy Bridge systems which aren't very demanding, thermally speaking. just my opinion...there are many users here on [H] that have been nothing but pleased with their H50 setup.

Risk of leaks are very minimal as long as your have proper temperature limits in place i.e. shutting down your computer as soon as your processor hits ~100 C. This would prevent any sort of boiling that occurred in the other thread should the pump fail. Also, you can always plug the pump into the CPU fan header, and have the computer automatically shut down when it detects that the pump is not spinning. And Sandy Bridge are very demanding thermally once you start overclocking to the 4.5ghz+ range.

I would just recommend two Yate Loon high speed fans, and use your motherboard to spin them down at lower temperatures. Or you can opt for some higher-end fans.

From all the reviews I have read the difference btwn 1 fan and two is about 3-4c. Not a lot but if you plan on overclocking gives you a little more headroom to play with.

The 212+ is outdated, I don't know what's all the rave about.

+1 most overrated cooler ever the CM N520 is around the same price and is much better. Spend a couple dollars more for a good air cooler like the Megahalems or TRUE that will last forever. The Corsair H series coolers are junk imho.

I think what is very clear in this thread is everyone has their own opinion and there isn't a clear answer! I appreciate the feedback.

John

The nice thing you have going for you is that SBs really arent that hard to cool anyway. My brothers 5ghz 2500k can hit low 70s C in linpack after an hour with his H70... but everything else it stays in the 50s/60s, which is nothing.

The nice thing you have going for you is that SBs really arent that hard to cool anyway. My brothers 5ghz 2500k can hit low 70s C in linpack after an hour with his H70... but everything else it stays in the 50s/60s, which is nothing.

i agree. at the moment the most cpu-intensive task i throw at my system is playing BC2, during which i stay in the mid-high 50's using a CM Hyper 212+ cooler. that's with an i5-2500K moderately overclocked to 4.5GHz @ 1.3V.

Well, I have done quite a bit of testing with both the Hyper 212+ and the H50. Both of them in push/pull config with the same fans. They are within 1-2C of each other, with the H50 a tad lower.

I am keeping the Hyper 212+.

[email protected]@1.35v runs 72C with hyperthreading enabled.

John

For a real world app. Handbrake with Intel Speedstep / AMD Cool and Quiet turned off in Bios / UEFI seems to push my CPU's to 100 percent. The most thermally. It pushes at least 10-15 degrees more than a 2+ hour gaming session will. Plus it's sourceforge freeware, try it out and see after 10 minutes if your nearing TJ max with Core Temp 64 / 32. If not I'd say your safe. Or try something else.

Thank you for the suggestion. I have tried a lot of bun in programs - IBT, LINX, OCCT, etc and I think prime with the small FFTs gave me the highest temperatures.

What I have noticed, is since I have updated the bios to 1503, speedstep no longer functions. my CPU and voltage stays at max regardless of load. Same settings as I had with 1502.. Even cleared the CMOS and ran through them again - same result, CPU doesn't clock down.

John

The H50 is a decent solution but still not that much better than a standard air cooler in the scheme of things, or at least compared to most other high end air coolers. the H70 is a better solution.

I bought my 212+ for $20 shipped when it came out.

Also, In Nov 2010, I bought a spare at Fry's for $10 after $10 rebate.

So, yeah, the rave about the 212+ is the price/performance. I know the True and Noctua HSFs are better, but they're also $60+.

Back