Hydravision issues with 12.3

Hi,
I running an Asus 7970 DC2T in eyefinity (which has been awesome by the way) and installed the 12.3 drivers the other day. Everything has been fine except I noticed that Hydravision will not keep the "enable desktop manager" option after restarts. I check the box and verify the registry start item is there, everything works fine, restart and the box is unchecked and the registry entry is mysteriously gone! I've uninstalled, reinstalled, repaired, etc. but just can't seem to make that registry item that start the Hydravision DM "stick". I've never seen anything like this before... any ideas?

I'm submitting an issue report to AMD and I noticed some other issues that go hand-in-hand with this. My recreation steps are:

After installing Hydravision, open Catalyst Control Center and disable Desktop Manager by unclicking the checkbox. Check System Configuration and there should no longer be a start-up entry for AMD Hydravision Desktop Manager under HKCU\...\Run. Check running processes and HydraDM and HydraD64 are no longer running. Check the registry and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ATI\HydraVision2k should have 3 or 4 keys: Eyefinity, Position Memory, and Secure; MultiDesk will be present if that feature has been used on the system at least once. Then restart the computer.

First, computer start-up time (Windows Screen) increases by about ten seconds and NTBTLOG shows some drivers didn't load as expected. Logging into the desktop also takes a few seconds longer than usual.

And then open Catalyst Control Center and check under HydraVision: Desktop Manager has somehow become activated again; the checkbox is rechecked. HydraDM and HydraDM64 processes are now both running again. The AMD Hydravision Desktop Manager has been readded to HKCU\...\Run. And HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ATI\HydraVision2k now contains some additional keys: IconPosition and Individual Application Control.

Right-click anywhere on the desktop or on any of the desktop icons maybe 10-20 times. Notice that "Save Desktop Icons" and "Restore Desktop Icons" have been added to the right-click context menu, but only appears randomly about once every 10-20 clicks. This is more of a legacy feature that hasn't been around for many versions (http://www.realgeek.com/forums/strange-addition-to-my-right-click-menu-on-desktop-icons-250112.html). If you get it to show up and click on it, it's fully functional. It will write coordinate values for all of the desktop icons to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ATI\HydraVision2k\IconPosition and it will restore from the same. It would be nice to have this feature back and working more consistently. Another user had this issue (but not recently): http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ext-menu/53bac22c-68ba-44dd-b4d9-b0c5490f9762

Leave Desktop Manager enabled and perform a restart. Startup time has returned to normal and NTBTLOG no longer shows any driver issues during start-up. Disabling Desktop Manager and restarting causes symptoms to reoccur with bootlog, drivers, and start-up time.

Hydravision seems to need some serious attention. Other users are reporting the same: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038478095&postcount=102.

Besides all of these latest issues, which were also present with the 12.4 CCC/Driver/Hydravision package, Hydravision Desktop Manager installs Internet Explorer Menu Extension "Open Client to Monitor #" which points to path C:\WINDOWS\web\AOpenClient.htm. The file AOpenClient.htm is not present and does not appear to have been included with any recent versions of HydraVision.

This issue is still present with the latest version of Hydravision, v12.6. Except now it is forcing "Enable Desktop Manager" to be set to off upon each restart, as it was doing with v12.3.

EDIT: It seems that it is turning on at some restarts while turning off at other restarts. I am not changing any of the settings and have been just letting it run its course. Interesting to note, when the system has Hydravision set to on and then upon restarting it is set to off, that startup will take longer than normal like described above. But when Hydravision is off and then I restart and notice it is set to on, then that start-up occurs without the delay. Other times, the computer restarts and the Hydravision setting is intact, so the behavior is really inconsistent.

Last edited:
Back