Hydor L35 vs DDC3.2 w/Petra top

I'm considering the Petra top and DDC combo for it's compact size and it runs on 12V line. But would there be any cooling performance difference? The Hydor produces an insane 450GPH, but it only has 80" head compared to the DDC which produces approx 210GPH, but about 3x the head pressure.

The only thing this pump is going to be pumping through is 2 120.1 BIP's and an apogee GTX.

Will the small head pressure on the Hydor suffice or will flow suffer alot and actually go under with the hydor?

I couldn't find any flow vs pressure charts for the hydor, I was going to go with the DDC because of how small it is, but there is no point in spending $100 to get little if any performance difference.

I think Hydor's have more problems than the DDC from what I have read.

450 GPH = 28 LPM
210 GPH = 13 LPM

I assume that both sets of number are no-load flow rates? 3-5 LPM would be considered acceptable flow rates for most users under loaded conditions.

So, if those are your choices, it would seem that the DDC would seem to be the better "matched" choice.

Cooling performance will be nearly identical - maximum 1c difference I would say.
Flow will probably be about the same - maybe even a bit higher with the DDC, but nothing that makes a meaningful difference in CPU temp.

In my experience Hydor does not have problems like the defective electronics that many DDC's have, and they work very well when they are new.
BUT - they do have quite strong vibration noise, and after maybe 6-12 months or so, they quickly start getting louder and louder due to increased bearing/bushing wear and tear. They will keep going for years though, but most people will have tired of the rattling noise before that. The short lifespan is due to the lack of ceramic bushing and axel, like Eheim uses in the 1046 and 1048. The Hydors I have seen has a plastic bushing running on a steel axel.

At one point I had one suspended in bicycle hose for a while, and that worked well: Removed all vibration noise, leaving only a tolerable low-range mechanical humming sound.

I guess I'll stick with my Hydor for now. It does have a very powerful low freq vibration, but some insulation and padding helps. I also noticed it helps if it is submerged(during testing) but that will be one HUGE res.

Back