Hydor L30 rattling problems

Master Ninja

Limp Gawd
In my first WC setup (built two years ago), I used a Hydor Compact L30 pump inline. It worked great... for about 9 months. After that, it started giving off a noticeable rattling noise whenever it was turned on. It got louder and louder until it became the loudest part of the system, and I got fed up and bought another one.

Now, after roughly 9 months again, the EXACT same problem has occured. I e-mailed the American office about it weeks ago, and finally got a response saying they've never heard of the problem. I'm putting together a new system, and I'd much rather fix one of these pumps than be forced to buy a new one.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, what the hell is causing it? I suspect that either the impeller shaft or the casing has been worn away so that the impeller now has room to shake around in the pump, causing the noise.

Yes, theres a solution call the guys back and Hydor USA and order a set of Impellers, I had one that did the exact thing your talking about. Getting a new impeller corrected my woes. I'll PM you with a phone number for Hydor USA as well.

-Brandon

I'll be damned, no one else I've asked has ever heard of this problem. Good to know I'm not crazy and I was right about the problem.

On the other hand, would it be ridiculous to use this pump with 1/4" tubing because of the flow limitations?

yeah thats really small tubing.. I use 1/2 ID on both mine in series. dual l30's kick but til I can decided between a Iwaki or pan World for my next external box.
- also when you order new impellers look at the difference in the diameter of the old ones compared to the new ones, should you decide to order.

Another question just popped into my mind. did your pump per chance come from Cooltechnica? my first one did and its the one that rattled like all hell.

-B!

To be honest, I can't even remember where I got it from. There are almost no Canadian distributors of Hydor parts, though, so I've been unable to find any replacements.

I e-mailed them on April 8th and they just got back to me now; in consolation, they're sending me a free impeller! I might not stick with the pump depending on my new loop, but at least I'll have one working again.

i'm having the same problem right now! i'm doing a leak test and this pump just keeps getting louder! could i get a PM of Hydor USA's number as well? also, i bought my pump from cooltechnica. is that a sign to not get pumps from them?

Mine definitely didn't come from CoolTechnica (I'm in Canada). I'll send you the number Brandon sent me, or their e-mail is available on their website. The guy you want to get in touch with is Philip Cooper.

I'll update this with the results when/if the new impeller arrives.

I hope both of you guys fair as well as I have with my new impellers. total silence for a few months now.

-Brandon

I think I need to call Phil and tell him I need a cut of the profits. LOL. If you need a phone number for Hydor USA drop me a PM and I'll give it to ya.

-Brandon

Back