HybridHD for vista

lee0539

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 17, 2001
Messages
1,829
No i'm not talking about a prius...

http://compreviews.about.com/od/storage/a/HybridHD.htm

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1973122,00.asp

samsung and seagate is creating some of these new harddrives... basically u run the flash ram of a small size (256mb or so) while the hard drive is spinning up and therefore vista, photoshop, etc can be opened much faster and make use of all these blazing fast cpus... (fix the major hard drive bottlenecking).. before the OS didnt recognize these as the same harddrive so it created a lot of problems, but vista supposively is correcting this issue so that these new HybridHDs are not treated differently from normal harddrives. Hopefully these companys gets a clue and puts those flash rams with raptor (10,000rpm) speed disks.

Any new info on these hard drives and availablity now that we have vista? Hopefully they dont disappoint... nothing sweeter then a 3 second vista load.
 
This has been the question since they were announced.
So far, I've yet to hear of anyone with one actually in hand.
They should be in the supply chain Real Soon Now TM
 
This has been the question since they were announced.
So far, I've yet to hear of anyone with one actually in hand.
They should be in the supply chain Real Soon Now TM

neat i'll wait for them... just hope they arne't overly expensive and are designed for more home/buisness use then corporate servers.
 
neat i'll wait for them... just hope they arne't overly expensive and are designed for more home/buisness use then corporate servers.

I am not sure if I interpreted Vertigo Acid's post correctly, but the "real soon now (TM)" came across to me as being rather sarcastic, since there's been quite a bit of "announcing" in that area, but very little in terms of product availability. I would not hold my breath.
 
oh... well seems like they have been producing prototypes since last year... do they usually have products ready many months before a release? i'm not upgrading my comp real soon... i'm talking about around the time Q6600/6700 becomes close to mainstream prices (like current e6700s.)
 
If i'm building a new rig with vista do you think I should buy the 74GB raptor or hold out until these come along?
 
If i'm building a new rig with vista do you think I should buy the 74GB raptor or hold out until these come along?

i would get 74GB raptor then get the samller sized hybirdHD later... but if ur building a new rig now you'll be waiting for quite awhile i guess.

that way u can run your OS purely on the hybridHD which might not be very large (possibly another 74.25GB (256mb from flash also) then use raptor for programs/games/etc.

wow a raid 0 with like 4 hybirdHDs will be quite amazing...
 
wow a raid 0 with like 4 hybirdHDs will be quite amazing...
Where did you get HHD performance numbers from? I'd love to see some too. Right now, I have absolutely no idea how fast -or not- HHDs are going to be.
 
I am not sure if I interpreted Vertigo Acid's post correctly, but the "real soon now (TM)" came across to me as being rather sarcastic, since there's been quite a bit of "announcing" in that area, but very little in terms of product availability. I would not hold my breath.

Indeed, that was my intent :p

This question has been asked since around, oh, last September.
 
Back
Top