Hybrid Sleep Not Working

cu2cool

Limp Gawd
I've recently reformatted from Vista Home Premium 32-bit to 64-bit. As of now, this is the only leading cause I have for the problem I am experiencing. I have a mobo that supports S3 sleep, which is enabled in BIOS. I have checked powercfg to make sure that S3 hybrid sleep is available and that "powercfg -h" is on. I have enabled hybrid sleep in advanced power settings. I only have my keyboard and mouse set to wake up the computer from sleep, which is all the same as before when it used to work. However, when I I try to put the desktop into hybrid sleep it only goes into normal sleep mode. The fans and hard drives do not shut off and desktop wakes from sleep when I move my mouse. What is supposed to happen in hybrid sleep is that the desktop goes into a hibernation-like state (i.e. fans and hard drives turn off), and resumes as quickly as in normal sleep when a button is pressed. Both normal sleep and hibernation mode work fine. I just can't seem to get my desktop to go into hybrid sleep any more. I found it very useful because when I go to sleep I don't hear my fans whirring, and when I want to power up, it only took 2 seconds. PLEASE HELP!

Rather than fiddling about trying to manually configure, have you tried setting Power Options to 'Balanced Plan' and then using 'Restore Defaults' for that? Those are the install defaults, and should have it in operation.

If that doesn't get it working correctly then:

• ACPI drivers mustn't be correctly installed or...
  • It mustn't be correctly configured in BIOS.

Rather than fiddling about trying to manually configure, have you tried setting Power Options to 'Balanced Plan' and then using 'Restore Defaults' for that? Those are the install defaults, and should have it in operation.

If that doesn't get it working correctly then:

• ACPI drivers mustn't be correctly installed or...
  • It mustn't be correctly configured in BIOS.

I just tried restoring defaults with no luck. BIOS is configured the same as it was before I reformatted, and I have not changed/updated at all. What would be the best way to fix the ACPI drivers if possible?

Hybrid sleep puts the computer into S3 standby, but also creates a hibernation file so that you can still resume without losing data in the case of power loss. Therefore the level of noise you experience should be equal to when you put your computer into standby normally - if you get fans still running when you attempt to sleep it or put it into standby, it suggests it's only using S2 standby. Hybrid sleep isn't a deeper sleep than S3 (and S4 hibernation is essentially off).

Not that I can help with your problem directly, but I think it's stuck using S2 standby for some reason.

What would be the best way to fix the ACPI drivers if possible?
Reinstall chipset drivers.

Curious problem this'n, if it worked fine on the rig under Vista x86 before. Should be fine under Vista x64 too.

Was it like this as soon as you installed x64? Or did you jump straight into altering configuration settings as soon as you installed (and thus don't really know if the default install worked fine?)

I've just had a fiddle with one of my own Vista rigs, and I'm now not so sure that 'Restore defaults' actually does that effectively. There'd been some 'advanced' configuration changes on the rig, which saw it not auto-entering Sleep mode as scheduled, and using Restore Defaults didn't alter that. The thing works fine entering Sleep mode on demand, and resumes from Sleep mode fine, but it sure as hell didn't Sleep by itself after an hour of inactivity, way it was scheduled to.

Hybrid sleep puts the computer into S3 standby, but also creates a hibernation file so that you can still resume without losing data in the case of power loss. Therefore the level of noise you experience should be equal to when you put your computer into standby normally - if you get fans still running when you attempt to sleep it or put it into standby, it suggests it's only using S2 standby. Hybrid sleep isn't a deeper sleep than S3 (and S4 hibernation is essentially off).

Not that I can help with your problem directly, but I think it's stuck using S2 standby for some reason.

I thought Hybrid sleep is S3? As I said earlier, I've checked BIS settings and powercfg, and both report that S3 sleep is enabled. I don't believe I even have S2 as an option in BIOS, only S1, which is not enabled.

Catweazle, I haven't made any adjustments to my advanced power settings before this problem occurred. As you told me to do before, I tried to restore default settings, which did not work. I will try to reinstall chipset drivers later, and if that doesn't work then a system recovery to when I first installed.

Thanks for the replies.

are you sharing any media? if so the default in vista is away mode which is what you are describing. if you change that to allow the computer to sleep it should work.

I thought Hybrid sleep is S3? As I said earlier, I've checked BIS settings and powercfg, and both report that S3 sleep is enabled. I don't believe I even have S2 as an option in BIOS, only S1, which is not enabled.

Hybrid sleep usually is S3, but so is standard sleep - the "hybrid" part is its creation of a hibernation file as well which it can use to restore from if the system loses power. XP was also able to use S3 sleep, and didn't have hybrid sleep.

However, I'm afraid I'm not sure why it's not working for you at the moment; it has to be software if you made no hardware or BIOS changes but just reformatted. I remember when I first installed Vista x64 that the "Problem Reports and Solutions" applet was telling me to "Download and install the driver for ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY", though we don't have the same motherboard or chipset. Are there any problems there or in Device Manager?

are you sharing any media? if so the default in vista is away mode which is what you are describing. if you change that to allow the computer to sleep it should work.

It worked! I am sharing media and it was set to away mode by default. Which is weird though because it wasn't automatically set when I was using 32-bit Vista. Oh well. Changed it back to "Prevent idling to sleep" and now I'm back to normal. Thanks Rhexis, and thanks guys for helping out!

Back