• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Hybrid Drive | SSD | SSD as Cache

Joined
Sep 27, 2010
Messages
42
How do you all feel about Hybrid drives compared to the other options?

I have to much data for pure SSD. But i could do data HDDs and OS on SSD.

But that sounds like a hassle long term, so I'm debating SSD as a cache, or just mirrored Hybrids.

Thanks for your thoughts!
 
If possible, go with a pure SSD. If not, then using it as a cache drive just makes sense. I have a user that is not tech savvy at all. So having them save some things to a folder on a C drive and others to D, etc. was not an option. I did a mirrored 1TB 7200rpm drive setup with an Intel 320 60GB SSD for cache (using the Intel on-board RAID) and all ran great. Boot up is MUCH quicker that a standard hard drive setup, but a little slower than per SSD. It gave me (and them) the best of both worlds; speed and increased up time (in case of drive failure).

The cache drive died prematurely (it can happen), I disabled the caching option, they were up and running while RMAed the drive, installed and enabled the new drive and all was good. Simple issue if the cache drive or hard drive dies.
 
I would only consider a Hybrid drive in the following scenarios:

1) In a system without TRIM/SSD support (console/Vista/older Linux/MAC)
2) In a system where capacity is just as important as performance yet there was a tight budget
 
If this has something to do with RAID, or something like that, then just ignore my post as I have never messed with RAID and have no clue about it.

However, after reading the first couple of posts, is this thread about a computer user that doesn't understand the simple concept of a computer having multiple drives in it???

I mean, even a cheap computer has a C: drive (OS and storage) then a D: drive (optical reader, like a DVD drive).

OP, are you saying that if a computer had a C:, D: and E: drive in it, you or someone you know (the user) would be confused by it? This is computer 101 stuff. If a user is confused by multiple drives in a computer then they don't need to be using one. :eek:

Again, I could be way off base as to the topic of this thread, but if not...yikes!
 
I'm using a 120GB Kingston HyperX as my OS drive, and an 80GB engineering-sample Intel SSD as my scratch and temp drive. I modified my environment variables to put all temp-related stuff on the Intel SSD (including some temp folders located in my %UserProfile%\AppData location), and I also use that as my scratch disk when a program allows me to set specific locations if it isn't already storing its temp stuff on the Intel SSD.

It would be really nice if they made an actual RAMDisk drive. Then again, it wouldn't really matter because your SATA controller would be fully saturated on a single port at around 0.5 - 0.8 GB/s. :X
 
Back
Top