• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HX850 enough for 5970 CF?

Pretty sure you'd be pushing it. I wouldn't do that with any less than a quality 1kW supply to leave some headroom.
 
enough if you don't intend to oc the 5970. In fact, a quality 850 is supposed to be enough for two 5970s.
 
What really matters is what else do you have on that 850?

HDDs? 1 or many?
CPU (overclocked?)

You can add up what everything is drawing, see if you have enough power left over to power two 5970s

----
I was asking myself the same question about my Corsair 750w and my 2 HD5850 (one in the mail still)

but everything I could find says it will be fine. and my system is basic so I no I'm not out of power from that
 
enough if you don't intend to oc the 5970. In fact, a quality 850 is supposed to be enough for two 5970s.

i think he is asking about two 5970s...hence the CF (crossfire) in the thread title...


which 1kw psu are you thinking?...the ocz 80+ gold?...
 
2x 5970s should be fine - unless you overclock them, then NO.

1x 5970s + 5870 is pushing it if you overclock them. I would say no.

2x 5970s + crap load of other stuff in your system, I would be safe go with a 950+
 
he is trying to power two... CF = Crossfire = two cards ;)

i think he is asking about two 5970s...hence the CF (crossfire) in the thread title...
..

Reading comprehension FTW. Did you pay attention to the part of the sentence where I said 850 is enough for TWO 5970s? Pretty sure it's enough for 5970+5870 :rolleyes: as long as OP doesn't try to oc 5970 to match 5870 speed.

Not my words, BTW, that's what the ATI spec says: 650w for single 5970 and 850 for 2x5970s, prolly assuming w/o oc'ing. Of course, with oc'ing I think one would need 1kw PSU.
 
Last edited:
“the 5970” in the singular is whatcha typed...don't blame us for trying to help keep the thread on point...
 
“the 5970” in the singular is whatcha typed...don't blame us for trying to help keep the thread on point...

can't you use your brains for once? When you pair 5970 with 5870, you have to have it oc'ed to match 5870 speed. However, oc'ed 5970+ stock 5870 will put much more strain on an 850 PSU than a stock 5970+ stock 5870 . If I was talking about single 5970, 850 is quite enough for it even if you oc it. Just how hard is this to understand?
 
you guys are awesome. and yes i was talking about 2x 5970s , hence the CF. sorry if i was unclear. looks like i'd be more comfortable with 1kW if I want some safety/peace of mind.
 
you guys are awesome. and yes i was talking about 2x 5970s , hence the CF. sorry if i was unclear. looks like i'd be more comfortable with 1kW if I want some safety/peace of mind.

Yup, 1kw is much safer, especially if you oc, and you know you WANT to oc these puppies :D
 
ya just emboldened the incorrect word is all...the post reads as though you were speaking about one 5970...

not a big deal...especially since you've cleared it up...
 
haha i'd ask you to explain what a 5970 is, but i'd just be upping my post count so i could post in the for sale forum & that makes me feel dirty...

besides, how does one argue with someone whose every word is correct?!??...

i will never doubt the leader again...the leader is good...
 
Yes it can handle 5970 CF but without an OC on the 5970s.

If you wish to OC, like the others have said, get a high quality 1000W+ PSU.
 
A Corsair TX950 or HX1000 would suffice for OCing. If not then maybe an Enermax Galaxy 1050.
 
Back
Top