HX620 makes suble but odd noises

Kaldskryke

[H]ard|Gawd
I bought the Corsair HX620 because
1) The cheap POS mushkin PSU I bought turned out to be worth the tiny amount I paid
2) It was the quietest power supply at the time according to spcr.

However, since I bought my lian-li A05 I've been able to hear some odd noises that I couldn't hear in my old antec P180, probably because the PSU is now right up front of the case. It's hard to describe the noise because it's very subtle. It's kind of random 'tock' noises like a hard drive seek, but much lower pitch and much softer. At first I thought it really was a hard drive, but I eliminated that possibility. I also thought it was liquid in my reservoir making the noise, but that's not true either. Is it possible that the fan is bumping around on its hub? Should I bother RMA'ing it for this?

I'm really interested in silence, and these random noises are enough to distract me.

How often does it make the noise? Also, could it be your optical drive? I had a drive that would make some random noises with or without a disc in it... /queue Twilight Zone music...

have it running outside of the case in front of you to confirm it really is the PSU

Back