• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HX-850 Died or alive?

dpoverlord

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 18, 2004
Messages
2,074
In the market for a new power supply as it seems my HX850 is dead. I let my friend use my computer and came home to the computer turning on for 1/2 a second then nothing. So should I stay with this Power supply with my setup? I think I should upgrade to a higher wattage. What do you guys recommend? When I game, I game heavily, however, I use a lot of hard drives.

Currently 3 3GB WD Red, 4 1.5TB Seagates. I have a GTX460 and will upgrade to a 690 or another higher model when they come out.

What do you thik?

Any ideas how to see what the culprit is?
http://darig.shutterfly.com/pictures/17
http://youtu.be/7_WzAp0v61w
 
Disconnect everything except for some fans from your power supply, use the paperclip trick to turn on the power supply, and see if it can run the fans. I think your problem is somewhere else, not the power supply. A power cycle like that usually indicates motherboard, RAM, or CPU problem, not power supply.
 
I got it to work just now with a 550 watt power supply. However the motherboard takes a bit to boot up. Any ideas what would be a good alternative PSU?
 
You HX is might still under warranty, I'll try to RMA it first. It's a good solid power supply.

An alternative is the Seasonic X750 when it goes on sale for ~$100.
 
RMA your powersupply since the HX line comes with 7 year warranty you should be covered :)
 
Back
Top