• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HX 1000 +12v low

n00zler

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Messages
344
So, I've been getting some crashes in games lately. I'll be playing just fine for an hour or two, then all of a sudden the screen goes black (sound usually keeps playing for 30seconds or so normally). I never get to a bluescreen, the computer never recovers. I have to hardboot it. At first I thought it was a problem with my vid cards, though I am starting to doubt it. I decided to use speedfan to check the +12v, and its recording a constant 11.4v at idle, and that drops to 11.35v under load from games or in furmark.

Anybody else with an HX 1000 have low +12v readings?

For now everything is running at stock.

System specs:
Corsair HX 1000
P6T Deluxe
i7 920
12GB OCZ DDR3
2x GTX 285s
Xonar DX2
Seagate 147gb SAS
Seagate 750gb SATA
 
First things first, never rely on speedfan or software monitoring programs to check the rail accuracy.

The only real way to measure that is with a multimeter.
 
First things first, never rely on speedfan or software monitoring programs to check the rail accuracy.

The only real way to measure that is with a multimeter.
Software is worse than useless, you MUST use a DVM/DMM.

What are your temps?
 
Temps all seem OK. Hottest things are the 285s, that under gaming load are around 80. I've ruled out ram (multiple memtests run for 8+hrs at a time all coming back clean). I guess I'll need to get myself a multimeter if I can't find another culprit.
 
Temps all seem OK. Hottest things are the 285s, that under gaming load are around 80. I've ruled out ram (multiple memtests run for 8+hrs at a time all coming back clean). I guess I'll need to get myself a multimeter if I can't find another culprit.
Digital Multi-Meter, as you do not want the loading of a standard Analog MM.
 
I think I tracked down the issue, and it isn't the PSU after all (phew!). I think its being caused by the southbridge overheating. The 285s put out quite a bit of heat during gaming, and the top one covers up the southbridge. I think that the 285s are heating up the southbridge too much, and thats what is causing the crashes. I finally noticed that the southbridge temps were very high right before a crash. When I used the EVGA precision tool to bump up the fan speed on the cards to 100%, it kept the temps on the cards down, and in turn the temps on the southbridge stayed within acceptable levels (though it still got fairly hot). And it appears to have solved the problem, as I didn't get any crashes yet while trying this.

Long story short....heat, not PSU!
 
Back
Top