Hurricane

marley1

Supreme [H]ardness
So what you East Coast people doing for the storm?

I am manually doing a lot of backups for clients, making sure online backs are running. And some servers I am shutting down tonight, others we are letting go.

Nothing, we are fully prepared for a disaster at all times :)

we really are, I'm not joking, I may put a few more people on call, but that is it

I'm in PA near Philly so we're not supposed to get hit until Saturday night. Saturday night though, everything of value (save for the essentials) is getting unplugged in case there are massive electrical spikes/lightning. Running at backup is a good idea, so I'll probably run that as well.

This is for my home though. At work, the current policy is to leave everything as is and pray.

*sigh*

Same here...remoted into 3x different clients now...doing manual backups. Have some other clients calling and asking about offsite backup, so this afternoon will be kicking in some new Intronis clients...and I'll see how much of their server I can get uploaded until <whatever> may drop power/internet Sunday morning.

Rode the Harley to work today, gotta ride around to do some onsites too....hope the breeze won't kick up yet.

Hope you're safe down there on LI.

Yeah we had some clients we put on Nine, almost all backed up some more GB to go.

I am not worrying too much. But I am sure to be flooded with calls on Monday.

Hopefully I don't float away!

I too am doing nothing. In Philly we are set to get it on Saturday afternoon/evening. All the off site back up proceses are dont Friday night.

Therse one new server I'm setting up now. Its not in production so it would take less time to rebuild it than it would to setup a backup plan.

Yeah we had some clients we put on Nine, almost all backed up some more GB to go.

I am not worrying too much. But I am sure to be flooded with calls on Monday.

Hopefully I don't float away!

haha, a friend of mine on this board (criccio) works for a small ISP and their call center always has an increase in calls during heavy rain. Its gonna be a loooooooooong few days for them.

glad i dont work there anymore :cool:

I went to the liquer store this morning and bought a bunch of booze. Hopefully I wont remeber the storm :)

my company sent out an email this morning instructing people to completely shut down all electronics before they leave, and the main plant is off limits to non-essentials until monday morning (atleast).

we are in CT but most servers and data are off site and not in the north east, so they are mainly worried about the building itself and power surges to equipment.

it should be a good one. last good hurricane that came thru here was in 1991 and that was only a glancing blow. last i looked im sitting dead center in the cone of probable path.

I went to the liquer store this morning and bought a bunch of booze. Hopefully I wont remeber the storm :)

Bought this the other day. Long Island Iced Teas all weekend long!

TinYt.jpg

Got my big bottle of Bombay Sapphire gin in the freezer....I'm ready for the weekend.
Gorgeous out right now, back at the office after a few onsites, time to hop on the bike and cruise around for a while. The calm before the storm. Late Saturday evening into Sunday for us over here in Connecticut shoreline.

I'm in baltimore and will be hitting up the liquor store after work today for sure to prepare for the storm. Probobly gonna get a couple cases of beer and just hope for the best.

Talked to a few customers about what they need to do if they should have to fail datacenters and go to the DR site. Usual stuff. Funny, I was at one talking over DR plans when the earthquake hit (I'm in NC). I thought they had fired up the generator for a test at first.

if I had a big storm heading my way I would want to stay off the drink and keep myself alert!

Wow, That looks like a party to me! ...Party at jadams' place!

If you're in the Philly area come on over.

Far enough away that there shouldnt be any real danger. Close enough that its gonna be awesome!

The party will end when the power goes out though :(

if I had a big storm heading my way I would want to stay off the drink and keep myself alert!

It's either that, or chase the wife around with some wood. :D Or both!

I'll be riding the chain saw I'm sure too....getting trees that may fall.
And skimming the pool...threw out old cover, new cover not ordered yet...so I'll be dealing with all those leaves in it.

Polish the Harley.

Things to do without power.....running out of ideas.

I've prepped my clients as best as I can. I am going to shut down their servers remotely either Saturday night or early Sunday ahead of the storm. I'm pretty sure there will be widespread power outages here in Maine. Seems like if you look at the power lines wrong, the power goes out. Most of the servers have battery backup units, but some are the cheap APC units that don't power off SBS2008 properly. I prefer to play it safe and power everything down ahead of time.

My "colo'd" personal server downtown in my friend's office, I'll leave that on and let it ride out the storm and hope for the best.

Other than that, tomorrow I'm going to an Airshow an hour south. Sunday I'll ride out the storm at home. Assuming I have power & internets, watch movies and play online. Else, read a book or magazine. Take photos and videos of the storm. wooo

I work in a 24/7 NOC with Fiber in the NE and we have new guidelines due to the storm. There will be a conference bridge open for the weekend for managment and the NOC. Twice as many people are On-Call for field techs and there will be an extra person on every shift on Sunday for the NOC. Also every Employee that can be On-Call is for the NOC tier 2 and tier 3.

Thank God I am only working Saturday 7 to 3. :)

My office put me in a hotel in midtown Manhattan for tonight and tomorrow. In case transportation is still messed up I can walk to the office downtown and start fixing shit before markets open. We have a bunch of plans ready for broken fiber lines.. I'm not concerned.

Wait a little longer to see what the storm was going to do. Got a notification from one of the APC units at a client's office that the power went out. Decided it was a good time to power down the servers before the internet was lost there. TWC doesn't put battery backups on their plant north of Portland :( as far as I can tell.

Logged into a few more clients servers and shut them down. One client's router must have locked up late last night and I don't have remote access now :( But they got a nice Eaton Powerware UPS so it should be fine.

Still here! Cable Internet down in our clients area, power out in most areas they say 1/2 million customers affected.

We shut down a bunch of machines logmein was all offline was nice sight.

In our condo had bunch of down trees

Will see what type of calls we get in morning

For those who have actual data centers in hurricane prone areas, what kind of stuff do you do, like from a structural point of view so you don't lose the server equipment if the building is hit? Or do you just swallow that cost and ensure the offsite backups are valid?

I just got my power back about 30 minutes ago. Went out around 3:30pm yesterday. Looks like I have 3 clients still without power. I stopped by one client whose database wouldn't start up right, while I was in town buying bagged ice. Restart of the database services and the client was fixed. Waiting to see if any other issues crop up.

I gotta admit, reading this thread I am kind of laughing. Lived my whole life in FL, manage a DC that has taken 4 direct hits in the past decade :D

You guys will be fine lol. Try getting 25" of rain dropped on you in two days, or getting a spike big enough to arc from the xfer station to the NG line, igniting it and torching your generator xfer station.

There was also this one time, where the chiller generator failed but the commercial gen kept going...cooking an 800 SF server room. That was a catastrophe.

Mind you this is all pretty top-notch stuff, no hokey setups.

It's all relative man. Smaller population and fewer, smaller businesses up here, but no less important than in Florida.

For those who have actual data centers in hurricane prone areas, what kind of stuff do you do, like from a structural point of view so you don't lose the server equipment if the building is hit? Or do you just swallow that cost and ensure the offsite backups are valid?

Believe it or not the value of the services being hosted are considered higher than loss of the actual equipment. We keep things running and just test offsite backups and our DR plan ahead of time.

It's all relative man. Smaller population and fewer, smaller businesses up here, but no less important than in Florida.

Guess it all depends on where you hail from up there....I would think we have less people here. However we're sort of raised to be self reliant when these things hit here, not the case up there. That reason alone is why most of the people I know were scratching their heads over the Katrina nonsense. No one swoops in and saves your ass here...we help each other out and just wait it out.

Back