HURIN :) I TOLD YA.... 8800 GTX $599 at Newegg and its not even JAN yet!

COD2 for example? :p

Then why don't they then? That's the same in saying in saying that Nvidia or ATI could release hardware right now which would beat the 8800GTX but it's proberaly not ready, same with the software, well to their standards :rolleyes:

Hawk said:
COD2 for example? :p

Then why don't they then? That's the same in saying in saying that Nvidia or ATI could release hardware right now which would beat the 8800GTX but it's proberaly not ready, same with the software, well to their standards :rolleyes:

That's not the same at all. A programmer could double the number of polygons in a game in a few days. Can ATI make a new chip in a few days?

Varmint said:
That's not the same at all. A programmer could double the number of polygons in a game in a few days. Can ATI make a new chip in a few days?
I guess you could always look at it and say "bigger is better", and that if you were to use a monitor with 4000x3000 resolution, you would be pushing the card. I think what we really need to look at however, is the feature set. For example: things like HDR lighting, soft shadows, water effects... because realistically, you can always push hardware if you increase the resolution by an order of magnitude. Then, hardware would never keep up.

Cyrilix said:
Well, technically, they could achieve that by doing very inefficient programming. :)

They did that with the 7 series...It was called oblivion :p

Kraylon said:
V6maro... not crying about anything... just proving that by the time the drivers do come out for Vista which is why i bought it in the first place, i could have saved 150.00 or more by just waiting.

nVidia generally has WHQL drivers of some kind at the time of a GPU's release to the public on their website, if drivers are available for an OS. You'd have saved a lot of grief doing a little research, and not jumping the gun, if it was THAT important to you that Vista drivers be immediately available. Btw, from what I hear, there are some releases (though they may be beta) available from folks at nVNews.net; you might want to check their forums.

Kraylon said:
Yes Hurin, i am enjoying it on XP, but for all of you that missed this part in my ranting post, i had the X1900XTX and X1900XT CF boards running together in Crossfire mode which both together performs the same as this 8800. Well the only difference the 8800 made in 3dmark 06 was 200 more points (woopdy doo). So yes i already had a screeming XP system and didn't need to run out and buy the 8800 for XP DX9... so no... there is no value here for me to have paid $680.00 for a DX10 card to play DX9 games while waiting for Vista and its drivers to come out :-P especially to find out it has dropped $100.00 already.
And until this past week, you'd have to turn off one of your CF boards just to watch video. And some games aren't engineered all that well for Crossfire. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I think Hurin's point all along has been that your conspiracy theories are the blinders you have on that shut out the truth: you were really eager, didn't do enough research, and bought the card quickly. And by the way, show me a DX10 game currently on the market; and don't say Flight Simulator X, which doesn't have a DX10 patch out for it yet, though MS says there will be one. There are no DX10 games out yet, and Vista's Aero requirements are DX9, 128MB of video RAM, with Shader Model 2.0 support. Anyone who bought the card right now isn't expecting DX10 because DX10 stuff isn't available. For some reason, you seem to be the only one with this expectation.

Oh, and if you sell your X1900 cards right now, at least you'll get the best value for them rather than in a month or two, when they go down in price again as well. Since I'm guessing you would have bought a G80-based card anyway, it may have cost less, but your current Crossfire setup would net you less resale. Seems to me it evens out.

Kraylon said:
BTW... i miss the good old days when 3DFX was around and video cards were at the most $200.00
Ahh, yes. The 3dfx cards. How quickly we forget their limitations (at first, fullscreen video only, later, AGP 1x only, never to go to AGP 2x/4x, limited to 24-bit color when ATI/nVidia were shipping cards with 32-bit support, Voodoo Banshee chips hot enough to nearly cause spontaneous combustion, shall I go on?). And at the time (1996-1999 or so), $200 was quite a lot of money. Ever hear of inflation? ATI and nVidia's cards weren't $650 back then either, nor did anyone have the complexity of today's G80 GPU, nor did anyone have more than 32-64MB of ram on a video card.

I'm not saying anyone should go out and buy a $650 card, or that they shouldn't. But your rants (which we've all heard a few times now) serve to prove what should be the real moral of the story; do your friggin' homework before you buy a graphics card.

Kraylon said:
BTW... i just picked up that 24inch BenQ LCD and its made me appreciate having this card :)

What card did you have before the 8800? I have a 7800GTX and will be getting the FP241W once the 1:1 mapping firmware fix has been applied and am wondering if it will be sufficient.

Looking at the recent CPU magazine article on 8800s, the benchies look like the 7800 will be sweating hard whereas the 8800 will be barely awake (relatively speaking).

kadiir said:
What card did you have before the 8800? I have a 7800GTX and will be getting the FP241W once the 1:1 mapping firmware fix has been applied and am wondering if it will be sufficient.

Looking at the recent CPU magazine article on 8800s, the benchies look like the 7800 will be sweating hard whereas the 8800 will be barely awake (relatively speaking).
I had a Radeon X1800GTO2 (low-clocked X1800XT) 512MB similar in performance to your card before I upgraded (8800GTS), on a Dell 2407WFP.

If you game at 1680x1050, you'll be fine. Beyond that, you're likely to be turning features off to play. In comparison, my GTS hasn't broken a sweat at 1920x1200 so far.

That's what I figured, but I couldn't find any benchies specific to 1920x1200 for a 7800.

"Honey, that monitor is going to cost more than I thought...." :D

For the record, Kraylon is referring to this thread where he was spouting conspiracy theories and threatening lawsuits against nvidia because there was no Vista driver. (Look out nvidia! Kraylon's going to sick his lawyers and the media on you!) For some reason, he thinks it's a good idea to bring it back up. :eek:

But, if memory serves, he claimed (among other things) that the price would be down to $500 by the time Vista drivers are released.

But, Kraylon, even were the price to fall by that much. . . I would point out that the rest of your kookey assertions and paranoid conspiracy theories remain, well. . . kookey. Here's a (very) brief summary of the kookeyness. :D
Pompously quoting my own reply there. :D

Even though I thought it was somewhat petty that this thread was created in the first place (especially prematurely), I might as well beat Kraylon to the punch since it's already here.

Vista drivers were released today. The prices at Newegg are:

eVGA: $589 (before $30 mail-in rebate)
BFG: $589 (no rebate available)

The absolute cheapest one is 589.99 - 50.00 mail-in rebate for total of $539.99. But that's XFX, and as I said before, I think people prefer the name brands of BFG, eVGA, (etc.) for their excellent support, RMAs, and warranties. And, let's not split hairs over the mail-in rebates. You'll want to count them. I won't.

The point is that they aren't $499. :D

So, I basically could have gotten my BFGs for about $60 less than I paid for them. Oh joy. But, I have had the benefit of playing on them for the last two months with Windows XP. So, I'm satisfied. And, deep down there somewhere --having given up on the lawsuits and the one-man crusade for All That is Right and True(tm)-- I think you are too. :p

H

Hurin... i gotta say.. at first i thought you were a complete a-hole, But you've turned out to be friggen hillarious. I saw this post and just about died laughing. You were waiting for the day for the driver to come out. LOL. its like you had it in your outlook calander. Don't forget to make KrayLoN bleed for his insolence. LOLOLz.

Why do i have the feeling that you're the kinda guy that everyone can have a beer with?

Sigh... will it suffice if i say... YOU WERE RIGHT... and I WAS WRONG?

Forgive me for my foolishness oh great Hurin :)

anyways... i have since gave up on my consipiracy theories and i am no longer a diviant.

I am assimilated and now part of the rest of the Hardforum Borg Collective.

anyways... i have since gave up on my consipiracy theories and i am no longer a diviant.

I am assimilated and now part of the rest of the Hardforum Borg Collective.

Was this before or after Newegg gave you the credit?

BTW... 100.00 back in my pocket makes it so much easier.

And as far as Vista driver... technically... its still not official. However, the fact that there are LEAKed drivers out... i'll say that Hurin won the arguement.

and as far as that Tool Bag V6maro....well he is calling the Kettle black cause he asked Newegg for 100.00 refund on his Samsung monitor 1 month after he bought it, the price dropped... so i have no clue what point he is trying to make.

On top of that I have heard Newegg refund money to a guy who bought a 7800GTX that burned out a yr after he bought it.. he used the money to buy the 8800GTX and pocketed 100.00.

So... i dunno. As far as Newegg was concerned, they were willing to give me 100.00 bucks back. No shame in telling them why i was unhappy. Which i truely was. and no shame in getting the 100.00 when it has dropped in price and i could not use the card all that time for the purpose I bought it for.

What no one seems to understand is that i could have kept my x1900 crossfire setup and not rushed to get an 8800GTX if all i was going to do was sit and mess with win XP and Dx9..... so yeah for me... it was 100.00 loss cause i could have kept the x1900 and waited till now to get the 8800GTX and save 100.00.

Why doesn't anyone understand that?

Anyways... i don't care. Yes... i got 100.00 back. I'm happy. Vista leaked drivers are out. whether people agree or not... well thats all a matter of opinion.

Hehe, you created this thread, hoss. ;)

Was it really possible for me to notice the release of Vista drivers and not think about this thread? Not bloody likely! :D

Congrats on getting the $100 back. I have no problem with stuff like that and I totally understand that you could have been happy with your old setup but were looking forward to DX10. As I think you now realize, it was all the conspiracy theories and concocted worst-case scenarios that had gotten my ire up. And that part about people dying for our freedoms had me spitting Coke on my monitor. :) For the record, though, I think we settled on there being any type of Vista driver (final, beta, leaked, or otherwise) as the cut-off since your initial demands to nvidia's phone crew encompassed them sending you a beta and that this would have satisfied you.

Anyways, maybe those who want to continue to flog this dead horse of an issue (lack of Vista drivers) will molest this thread and leave the others alone?

I know we're not supposed to sign our posts. . . but in this case, I feel I must. . .

Best Regards (for real!),

H

BTW... i miss the good old days when 3DFX was around and video cards were at the most $200.00

I paid $300 for my 12mb Diamond Monster 2 Voodoo 2 card a week after it came out in '98. The Canopus card I lusted over was around $360, but it had an active fan and was pretty overclockable. I eventually bought a pair for $24 shipped on eBay mid last year for a Glide gaming rig (I have a lot of Glide games and some don't like XP).

I paid $500 for an eVGA 256mb GeForce 5900 Ultra on release day in 2003. Compared to current performance, was it worth the price? What made it not worth it was that it had serious flaws and after the 4th RMA, I sold the working card for a 9800 Pro.

I'm currently debating an Xbox 360 or an 8800GTS, but am leaning toward the 360 :) and I can always update my 7900 in the Fall/Winter when/if Crysis is released.

I'm patiently waiting for the 2nd generation of these cards, that will be cheaper by a bit hopefully and shorter! Nothing DX10 to use for the next several months anyway. My 7900GTX keeps reassuring me it will make sweet love to me to buy itself some more time anyway.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130072

Only $599.00 and not even JAN yet. It will probably be down to $550.00 by jan...dare i even say $525??? I am also predicting that ATI will come out with their DX10 card and that NVidia will announce a release date for an 8850 version at the same time maybe same card with bugs worked our with 1GB of RAM???... that's my guess and its not based on anything valid... so don't beat me up for it.

Anyways...Lesson learned...never rush out to buy the latest and greatest

BTW... i just picked up that 24inch BenQ LCD and its made me appreciate having this card :)

BTW... 100.00 back in my pocket makes it so much easier.

And as far as Vista driver... technically... its still not official. However, the fact that there are LEAKed drivers out... i'll say that Hurin won the arguement.

and as far as that Tool Bag V6maro....well he is calling the Kettle black cause he asked Newegg for 100.00 refund on his Samsung monitor 1 month after he bought it, the price dropped... so i have no clue what point he is trying to make.

On top of that I have heard Newegg refund money to a guy who bought a 7800GTX that burned out a yr after he bought it.. he used the money to buy the 8800GTX and pocketed 100.00.

So... i dunno. As far as Newegg was concerned, they were willing to give me 100.00 bucks back. No shame in telling them why i was unhappy. Which i truely was. and no shame in getting the 100.00 when it has dropped in price and i could not use the card all that time for the purpose I bought it for.

What no one seems to understand is that i could have kept my x1900 crossfire setup and not rushed to get an 8800GTX if all i was going to do was sit and mess with win XP and Dx9..... so yeah for me... it was 100.00 loss cause i could have kept the x1900 and waited till now to get the 8800GTX and save 100.00.

Why doesn't anyone understand that?

Anyways... i don't care. Yes... i got 100.00 back. I'm happy. Vista leaked drivers are out. whether people agree or not... well thats all a matter of opinion.

Sorry, I was only credited $50 (even tho the product dropped $100), and it was within 2 weeks, NEXT!

Back