Hunting slow startup issue

ziddey

Supreme [H]ardness
Normally, when something like this comes up, I'd just do a quick format and be rid of it. However, this time around, I figure I should try and get down to the root of the problem and see if I can remedy it. After all, this is a fresh install of windows, and I can't imagine this happening after only 2 days of use

So the problem is that after I log in, all programs seem to load up. I watch the tray and notice that the local area connection icon takes around 2-3 minutes to show up. Further investigating shows that if I disable the "server" service, it'll boot up right away and show the icon, although a lot of things I do won't work for obvious reasons.

I've tried booting without the network cable in as well to no avail. I've done some searching but all the solutions seem to tell me to just disable the service, which isn't an option.

The version of windows in question is 2k3r2 enterprise. I guess I'm glad I held off on activating until the 14 days are up. Haven't had the problem of having to call in to manually update yet but would like to avoid that :)

edit: Also, the computer is kind of usable during this period. cpuz and the likes won't load until it's done. Firefox works along with some other programs. If I open up network connections, it shows the firewall not running. And if I try to click on the local area connection, it locks up the entire computer until the server service can fully start up.

edit: I noticed t hat if I disable the network location awareness that it'll cause the lan icon in the tray show up right away. However, looking in services, it shows server still "starting" and "performance logs" stopping. Also, there is no firewall active at the moment it seems, and going to the setup for it results in unknown error.

I will guess that the LAN connection is set for DHCP, right?

set it manual and see if it comes right up after a reboot, whats giving out the IP to the server?

dbwillis said:
I will guess that the LAN connection is set for DHCP, right?

set it manual and see if it comes right up after a reboot, whats giving out the IP to the server?
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have it on static ip. I tried using dhcp but it didn't help. I even tried keeping the adapter disabled and it didn't help.

Is it overclocked?
What roles is the server doing (dns, dhcp, active directory, etc)

dbwillis said:
Is it overclocked?
What roles is the server doing (dns, dhcp, active directory, etc)
It exhibits the same behavior whether overclocked or not. It's currently not even setup yet to run really anything besides IIS. I'd like to eventually get at least active directory up and going, but as it stands right now, I'd like to get rid of the problem before moving on, even if it means a reformat again

What programs are installed ?

can you list the items/apps by the clock area-
Also list the items in the registry at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

dbwillis said:
What programs are installed ?

can you list the items/apps by the clock area-
Also list the items in the registry at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Wow I'm really enraged now. I just did a format and after installing all the drivers again and most of the software, it's doing it again!!!!

There's minimal stuff in the tray. Daemon-tools, steam, printer driver, nvidia, realtek sound, dumeter, winamp, aim. That's really about it. I checked in run and all that as well and have determined that it's not one of the startup programs lagging it up. It's the "server" service, whatever that entails. If I disable that, it's smooth sailing, but that's not an option unfortunately :(

ryan_975 said:
is your CPU overheating and causing the system to throttle?
Absolutely not. I have this verified with rightmark and see no throttling. coretemp shows around 40 idle and mid-high 50's load with an ac freezer pro 7.

steam, dumeter, winamp dont need to be starting up with the PC each time, just when you launch them.

Does it happen right after installing the OS, before you put in those apps? (not sure why youd keep installing additional apps if its not working right still)

ziddey said:
There's minimal stuff in the tray. Daemon-tools, steam, printer driver, nvidia, realtek sound, dumeter, winamp, aim

You call that minimal? Minimal to me means a NIC icon, volume and... well, that's it. :p I'm sure those things are sucking down some resources and they MOST DEFINITELY are slowing your boot process, without any doubt at all. My 5 year old Dell laptop boots in 14 seconds flat...

Hit it with Bootvis for a trace run, see where the slowdowns are really happening, then hit it with an Optimize system pass and see how much better it gets.

Hope this helps...

bbz_Ghost said:
You call that minimal? Minimal to me means a NIC icon, volume and... well, that's it. :p I'm sure those things are sucking down some resources and they MOST DEFINITELY are slowing your boot process, without any doubt at all. My 5 year old Dell laptop boots in 14 seconds flat...

Hit it with Bootvis for a trace run, see where the slowdowns are really happening, then hit it with an Optimize system pass and see how much better it gets.

Hope this helps...
Nah I wouldn't call those apps minimal but at the same time not clogging either. I'd remove them normally, but I can say for a fact that they're not causing a problem, so at the moment, I'm not bothering to remove them. As for bootvis, it doesn't show what the process is that's causing the delay for some reason. I've tried that first since I figured it'd show what was lagging me. It is definitely a service and not one of the startup apps though, I can say that right away. It seemed to have happened after I installed all the windows updates and then rebooted. To be sure of that this time around, I installed all my normal apps first and then did windows update, and it wasn't until after the updates that I got the slowdown.

edit: I should mention that the reason bootvis doesn't work is that it displays boot results before it's completely booted and shows the nic icon in the tray

edit: Specifically if I haven't mentioned before, looking in the system event viewer,

For example:

3:05:05: ipsec entered secure mode
3:08:07: network location awareness (nla) sent start control

In between those times, server shows as "starting" in services. At 3:08:07, everything gets rolling again.

Application section of event viewer shows nothing incriminating at all.

I've tried even disabling the nic in the bios and thus not having anything but still no go. So it's inherent to the system.

Back