Humm botched tim install or just a hotter proc

Lunas

[H]F Junkie
I got a toshiba c55t-a5222 free for xmas i tossed a second 4gig stick in and a 750 gig drive and a i5 3230m in it replacing a celeron 1005m

Now i have installed many cpu but as5 is a rather forgiving thermal paste but i was out so i used a small thing of zalman white paste i covered the die and reinstalled the heat pipe and tiny heatsink,

i think i may have put too much on as my max temp has jumped to 78C and the fan goes full blast as before i never got it to go fast enough to hear even with 100% load on it for 5 hours

Is a i5 3230m 35w chip just a hotter beast than the 1005m 35w or do you guys think the thermal paste is the culprit here and is slowing down the transfer. I am planning on replacing the paste with as5 later i just wanted the i5 in to see if it would work in the board.

Im assuming you cleaned off the old TIM from both the cpu and the heatsink correct? Too much TIM can cause higher temps also, you may be on to something there.

It is doing odd things to I think I might need to reinstall windows too after 30 min to 1hour it turns off like the power got cut thermal shutdown and driver issues are my thoughts.

White paste may be generic relabeled low grade paste. Redo with quality paste.

It is doing odd things to I think I might need to reinstall windows too after 30 min to 1hour it turns off like the power got cut thermal shutdown and driver issues are my thoughts.

This isn't necessary. I would re install with some quality TIM, using the correct amount and not too much.

The i5 is definitely going to run hotter.

I am not sure how common this is now days, but back in the day, the same model of laptop would have different coolers for different processors.

It could be that the cooler that came with the laptop is not up to snuff for the i5.

The i5 is definitely going to run hotter.

I am not sure how common this is now days, but back in the day, the same model of laptop would have different coolers for different processors.

It could be that the cooler that came with the laptop is not up to snuff for the i5.

I'm with this guy, the i5 is going to run hotter, even with the same official 35W TDP number. That celeron tops out at 1.9GHz, the i5 runs 2.5GHz with a 3.1GHz turbo frequency.

I would go back and use a quality paste just to be sure, but don't expect to get down to the same (load) temps as with the celeron no matter what paste you use.

i would have still expected the temp to not be that sensitive on an upside it seems to have made a huge difference with as5 it stabilized at 76C max but the issue still occurs after about 30-40 minutes my pc just shuts off like the power was pulled it is hard on my hard drive so i am getting worried about continuing to attempt to diagnose this i think i am going to load off a usb stick and see if it crashes in that if it doesn't i'll wipe the drive and reinstall thinking it is some driver from the celeron 1005m sticking around causing it. If it crashes after that i'll put the old cpu back in and hope it is not my motherboard.

Last edited:
+1 redo with quality thermal paste.
Ive swapped out Pentium Dual core/celerons/i3's for i5/i7's and not had issues....unless the CPU wasn't on the bios white list.

I redid the install with as5 dropped temps at idle by about 20c top end dropped about 4c laptop still dropped power about 45 minutes later reformatted still did it. Pulled i5 out put celeron 1005m back ran for 5 hours no issues the model of laptop can come with the i5 3230m and I would think that if that CPU was not in the white list that the laptop would not boot at all. Not seemingly take the new CPU and run fine for 45min then drop power.

Im assuming the heatsink on the laptop has no air gap. Is the heatsink a copper solution or a piece of metal on top of the CPU.

Usually the one laptop chassis is farmed out to accept higher TDP or compute CPUs. So basic is a celeron, or upto an i5 in your case. The cooling solution is usually created for the highest CPU offered with that model, so if you have seen that exact chassis with an i5, then their should be no problem. However one thing to remember is nothing is certain unless you have the workshop manual. That manual will list what cooling solution is specifically installed for an i5 vs a celeron.

To me the only possible reasons for such a problem are:
-The CPU came with a thermal pad rather then paste, due to the gap between the chip and the heatsink. AS5 isn`t quite cutting it (I have had this same issue present itself when I did a complete MB replacement with and BGA atom unit) gap wise, hence the higher temps.

-the i5 has a different spec cooling solution on this same chassis.

Could also be the power circuitry shutting down after extended stress with the new i5.

A lot of laptops I've done a cpu upgrade used the same cooling, but assembled with diff cpu's.
I'm running cool right now on an i540m from P6100 swap.
If the laptop shipped with a cpu in the range you upgraded to, then look to replacing thermal pads with new ones, and TIM with quality paste.

Only time I've heard of this being persistant was a buddy that swapped an A6 out of his Acer to an A10 and he swapped his burned pads with AS5. Ther was a gap, shutdowns, etc. We pulled it apart, appropriately replaced TIM with pads, WAMMA he's playing smite for hours at crap frame rates.

There is no gap it is a copper plate with a heatpipe clamped/soldered to it going to a series of fins about the size of a roll of coins. The 4 chips that this laptop hypotheticly ships with all are 35w units and the heat assembly was stamped with 35w it only connects to the CPU and is held down by 4 spring loaded screws the old pad had a consistency of clay and had been squeezed so thin there was copper showing did not have to clean much off.

The old CPU is back in and works fine...

Voltages of the two CPU is the same heat never hits the shutdown level I let it just idle and it still shut down turned off turbo nothing fixed it. I'm sending it back as the i5 is likely bad but then again I have never encountered a CPU that was bad but worked fine for 45 min or so then whole system instant off. Letting it idle the temps don't go above 111F still shuts off.

Could be a bios issue with the chip.

well in theory the c50t and c55t use the same motherboard across the 4 intel models the only difference should be the cpu, hdd, ram, wifi card options. The options for cpu of the c50t series.

Intel® Celeron® Processor 1005M (3M Cache, 1.90GHz)

Intel® Pentium® 2020M Processor (2M Cache, 2.40 GHz)

Intel® Core™ i3-3110M Processor (2.40GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)

Intel® Core™ i3-3120M Processor (2.50GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)

Intel® Core™ i5-3230M Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.20 GHz) with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology

Theoretically i should be able to put any of those in my laptop. But in the case of my 3230m it worked perfect but only for 30-45 min then the system dropped all power i then turn it back on the power does nothing then i push it again it turns on boots as normal then works for 30-45 min regardless of cpu temp as i let it idle to see if it is temp related.

I would think if it was bios incompatibility, whitelist or heat the symptoms would be different.

Last edited:
Did you double check there are no CPU power phases missing?

Did you double check there are no CPU power phases missing?

Humm the board was very compact I suppose that could be why if Toshiba has 2-5 revisions of the board for the same model laptop and I suppose the retail version would be extremely likely as this is a Walmart model. Toshiba has sent c&d orders to most places that had service manuals so finding that out would likely involve getting a detailed picture front and back of both boards and finding the differences. If none are found then I don't know.

im reluctant to try agian with an i5 maybe an i3 would have higher chance of working.

Last edited:
Back