huge problem

who

Weaksauce
i am trying to fix my sister in laws computer and she downloaded some file and when she installed it the computer rebooted and goes straight to a dell password screen. i have tried the backdoor pass dell but it doesnt work, anyways it is a dell inspiron 5160 can someone please tell me how to do it it wont let me run setup so i can boot from cd and reinstall or anything. does anyonew know how to fix this

What does it look like? Old school text and such (like a setup password?)???

Let me ask you this: When booting- do you see the Windows (what version do you have?) logo? If you do, hit F8 repeatedly when booting and boot into safe mode- Logon as the Administrator (A hidden account you will see when in Safemode) and change the password.

If it is a old-school text looking thing it is probably a CMOS password- and you need to reset it. Procedure varies from motherboard to motherboard- but you could try taking your CMOS battery out, trying to boot (just to discharge) and sticking it back in. It will reset all CMOS settings though (Things like boot order, etc).

I would first find out the above questions- you may not even need to open your computer to fix this, however.

its a laptop and everytime i try to enter setup or f8 it goes straight to the old styyle type screen that has dell corp at top and ask me for a password

Definately sounds like a setup password to me.

Check this out: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000235.htm

The easiest thing to do may be remove the battery itself for several minutes- see if that helps. If the jumper is easy to see- might give that a try if removing the battery doesn't work.
Since this varies from board to board- you may need to have Dell walk you through it.

Back