Huge problem, pc not loading profile and everything errors

jupitersj

Weaksauce
Hello,

I have noticed the past couple of days that before windows begins to load my HD light is lit for awhile and I sit at a black screen for severla seconds before it goes to the white loading bar, then proceeds to load windows xp home.

I came home from work tonight and found the power went out. I booted up and the usual happened, but instead of getting into windows, I got the blue welcome screen with a prompt that roughly said,

Windows can't load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default
profile for the system due to Insufficient resources.

Everything that was in my admin(only profile I keep, jupitersj) was on my desktop and in program files, however nothing will load. I get erors for taskmanager trying to bring it up, errors for things in the taskbar trying to load, firefox, every program. I can not bring anything up. I also noticed in one of the program file folders, there was an activate windows link, even though it didnt ask me to and I'm sure it was from being given a new profile to use.

It also takes forever just for windows to settle itself as it loads into itself.

Please help, I built this pc originally and already had everything in it die over a year ago due to a faulty power supply. I rebuilt it with the same exact parts, sans a newer version of the MB and a seagate harddrive this time.

A7n8x-e deluxe
barton 2500+ w/ thermalright slk-800a
512x2 corsair xms
seagate 7200rpm 120gb (Master), wd 7200rpm 120gb, maxtor 7200rpm 120gb
ati radeon 9700 pro
liteon dvd burner
antec trupower 480w
chieftec dragon blue aluminum
Windows XP Home

I hope this is descriptive enough. Obviously I have no pc to post from so I am using someone else's to post this atm.

Thankyou,

jupitersj

Two things pop into my head right off the bat.

First, a failing HD. Put the drive into another computer as a slave and run a thorough scandisk.

Second, a virus. Put the drive into another computer as a slave and run a full virus scan from someplace like http://housecall.trendmicro.com

I'm sure there are more possible causes, those are just the two that came to mind first.

Good luck.

When the pc was loading slower a few days ago I did do a chkdsk with no problems, as well as a disk defragment. I also use trendmicro all the time and keep up with spy-bot and adaware. With my current work schedule and condition of friends/relatives pc's, i don't have the ability to do what you suggest at the moment. I haven't downloading anything new other than updating steam earlier this morning to play a few rounds of counterstrike:source. Man, I spend inordinate amounts of time always fixing everyone else's pc for free that I know but I always end up with bomb dropping expensive that I can not afford solutions for my pc problems /sigh like life is taunting me...

it's like I can find similiar problems to mine when searching the net, but not the exact same one..

I even went into safe mode (which loaded fine, except there where two files it asked me to hit esc for if I didn't want them to load..no idea why..) and made another profile, but that one also loads very slow and nothing wants to show up as if I had 2 megs of ram or something >.<

I did read on another site about how pagefile.sys can get messed up and there is a way to rewrite it with a similiar problem to this, but I dont' want to do it if it'll just make things worse..

I'd like a few more options and opinions please? Thankyou for your suggestions thus far.

p.s. i'm running another chkdsk at the moment via safemode and no matter what profile I use in normal windows nothing even loads anymore at all, icons and any windows just show basic colours like somethign would if it were locking up or ran out of memory. Safemode works dandy though so I'm hoping it's just a corrupt file or something >_>

Have you tried system restore. I would go back a week or so prior to the probelm. As mentioned, your hard drive could be failing. Just because a scan disk doesnt find it doesnt mean all is well. It sounds like either a virus, a corrupt sustem file, Ram failing, or hard drive failure. Start with a system restore and see what happens. Post the results.

Most hard drive manufacturers make a utility that tests the drive a lot better than just doing the normal windows diags. I find errors with hard drives well before they fail sometimes out here at Hertz, the computers here are a locked down pretty tight, and power failures are rare. If I have a software problem with the pc the first thing I run in the bios is the ide dps self test. Sucker fails a drive if it finds ANYTHING wrong. I recommend this heavily to find out in advance, rather than reloading and having to deal with anything like this again...

Try creating a new user and logging on with that profile to see if the issues follow the profile or not.

I would first run something like Memtest86 to both check your ram for error and to test that the basics are running as full speed and its a Windoze/Hard drive problem.

Then try the hard drive manufactures disk checking program.

Both can be found on the Ultimate Boot CD so you can run them outside Windoze.

Once you know if its probably a hardware or software problem then thats half the problem solved.

Have you a spare disk you could put in the box so to check it that way ?

Luck.......... :D

I am sorry for the long absence, I will post more results after work hopefully... I have been sick =(

for a short update I think it might just be the HD because I semi fixed it twice in the past couple days, I'll update you tonight.

Thankyou for all your care,

jupitersj

I am back, sorry for the delay. I tried another chkdsk /x /f /r in safemode and had it reboot to do it due to the volume in use and it tooks its old sweet time to finish through. It fixed something though as I was now able to get into windows fine and everything worked perfectly as it did before as if nothing happened.

It lasted about a day and through many hours of counter-strike:source, but early in the morning a server stopped responding and I ended up locking up during a game exit. Ofcourse I had to reboot, and the dreaded error was back again >_<

It took me a few tries to get into safemode because instead of showing the screen with different modes to accept, I'd get the black screen still...until I randomly hit another key and it showed on screen. Anyway I went through with my chkdsk fix again and voila! The pc has been working fine again ever since.

I did freak out while playing EverQuest though on Sunday night... my guild was in Tacvi and during one of the zum muram fights I started to experience very choppy down to 5-15fps, everything was chugging...I was about to watch my computer yell out, "Elizabeth I'ma coming, it's time!" ..fortunately everyone else started to experience it also as it filtered into chat. Guess it was some weird no volume sound bug spamming everyone or something to cause the system lag, I don't know.

I know this problem is going to come bite me in the ass again, so tomorrow morning I will be making dvd backups of anything important on the main drive. I have never encountered this error before which seemingly has been die to a registry muckup or profile corruption for everyone else on the internet except me (I canot find a case for XP whereas the new profile loading is due to insufficient resources).

I guess I do have the choice to reinstall windows on this current drive first to see if it is software or hardware...but then again if it is hardware that would be such a waste of time that I unfortunately don't have these days anymore. I will try out the seagate tools I found online but I have to dig in and find out what model my drive is for the survey they make you take before downloading which allows you an rma ticket unfortunately I have no luck and my printer is dead so I can't print any of it out >_<

I do think it is the drive, but with my past luck with all of my own personal builds it has always ended up in a much more expensive catastrophe.... after 4 DOA a7n8x boards for friends' builds(only one fixable using a bat file to run a reflash and clean overwrite of the bios since the floppy would seek) I think I might be done with asus for awhile....nothing but weird problems o_O

Any other comments from a different perspective would be much appreciated. Once again I am sorry for the delay in getting information to you all.

Spinrite will perform a much better test of the drive. It finds more, and fixes more. It sounds as though you drive is failing, so the best course is to save the data and replace the drive. Spinrite may just push it over the edge, as it is very intensive. It will usually warn you though when it thinks the drive may be about to fail before you start it. There is no trial version that I am aware of though. Steve Gibson sell it on his site, www.grc.com, and he uses the money to finance his security research. He has several free tools, this just isn't one of them. I'd recommend that you borrow a copy, and if it helps, seriously consider buying your own copy. We need to support these programmer who make these cool tools.

Another thing I was going to suggest earlier, is SFC from the run command window. This checks your windows system files for courruptions and such.

It is funny, I have nearly the same system as you, Asus A7N8X-X, Barton 3000+, 1GB Corsair XMS, HIS 9800PRO, Antec NeoPower 480. My only problem with the board was Kington HyperX RAM. I had two earlier models, A7N8X v1.12, v1.13, v2.00. Something like that anyway.

You can reset your page file by disabling it, rebooting, then re-enabling it. I think the best test is to install the OS onto another drive, you've got three, then you'd be able to test the rest of the hardware. Dual boot.

Back