Huge Polk audio speakers on new egg

People like to knock <Polks> for this or that but ask people to produce a superior product for a similar price and no consistent option surfaces.
PSB.

And, as you said, the new Pioneers offer incredible value at the lowest possible price.

I have not seen PSBs as low as the Polks certainly not as often.

I have to agree the polk rti's and monitors are capable home theater speakers. The rti's in particular can do that surround thing where bullets whiz by your head very well as long as you can set your speakers up to get that "sweet spot". They have sort of a laser focus due to their pronounced high end (not really shrill like klipsh but just pronounced). My tastes have leaned more towards music lately so I got a more musical speaker (sierra 1's). Honestly the polks were better for movies and games it's just that they fall flat when it comes to music. That elusive all-around music/movies/games perfect speaker still eludes me. ( I suspect I'd have to spend up to $10k to find it so my search is halted for now lol)

Might look at JTR speakers. My brother has the 12HT for his front three and they do a nice job on both music and HT. I don't know much he has spent but I'm sure it's under 5k. It's a little crazy how sensitive they are, listened to them off the AVR and his amps and both sound good.

BTW... Did anyone else think Mathew Polk always looked like a happy Serial Killer in his ad's ?

I always got this "Bates Motel" feeling about him.

Update: Holy Shit... Even the house they started up in looks creepy LOL

http://www.polkaudio.com/about-polk

BTW... Did anyone else think Mathew Polk always looked like a happy Serial Killer in his ad's ?

I always got this "Bates Motel" feeling about him.

Update: Holy Shit... Even the house they started up in looks creepy LOL

http://www.polkaudio.com/about-polk

Honestly, I thought I was the only one who thought that... So funny.. That house definitely looks like something out of The Devils Rejects, even The Adams Family..

with speakers, you definitely get what you pay for. i ended up with a pair of kilpsch rf-62's, and i love them dearly. for what that's worth. hah. good luck to all that buy these.

Last edited:
What you got to be kidding you preferred a $500 speaker over a $70 speaker? Do tell more.

To some degree you get more when you pay more. But the important thing for the monitor line is most people are going to be upgrading from nothing. Or some Logitech junk. The gains in speakers as you go up in quality go up very just like say with video cards. Then there becomes a point of diminishing returns. The point is for people who have nothing these monitors will blow away any lower priced HTIB. Will they beat a speaker over 5x their price? I would hope not.

I went JBL, my brother went Polk. To my ears JBL sounds better, but everyone is different. Also, for home theater and gaming do not underestimate the importance of the center speaker, probably the most important part of your setup.

Edit: Wanted to add what I had been telling friends/family for years.. you'll get more out of a great audio system for home theater/gaming than an expensive display.

Last edited:
For the price, it'd be hard to beat this setup for speakers. Center Speaker. Surrounds. Front speakers x2.

That's $600 shipped. Obviously you need a decent reciever and a subwoofer to go along with it, but if you're still using something like a home theater in a box setup you'd be amazed at what you've been missing.

What you got to be kidding you preferred a $500 speaker over a $70 speaker? Do tell more.

To some degree you get more when you pay more. But the important thing for the monitor line is most people are going to be upgrading from nothing. Or some Logitech junk. The gains in speakers as you go up in quality go up very just like say with video cards. Then there becomes a point of diminishing returns. The point is for people who have nothing these monitors will blow away any lower priced HTIB. Will they beat a speaker over 5x their price? I would hope not.

was never comparing the two sets, as that would indeed be rather foolish :rolleyes: i listened to these speakers, and those are my thoughts on them. if you're coming from a 2.1 pc setup, yes, they're better. if you're expecting reference quality sound.. you're not going to get it. they're cheap speakers. there are better options at their usual price point. that being said, this isn't a bad deal.

there is no 'to some degree'. you get what you pay for. is it going to be worth it for someone to spend $200 for a set versus $1000? that's gonna be completely up to their ears, i agree.

Well there is to some degree because there are plenty of speakers like Bose where $500 wont buy you much. And of course these polks wouldn't be that interesting if they were sitting at MSRP. There are plenty of companies that will charge you as much as you are willing to pay to throw some cardboard in a box and sell it to you.

I had a set of those Refrigerator sized SDA's when I was in the Navy back in the 80's. I lived in a basement apartment with them LOL

They used to eat NAD amplifiers for lunch.

I think our store used a pair of Adcom 500 watt amps, but one day a co-worker brought in a tube amp and apparently they sounded much better (I was off that day).

Adcom 500 watt amp? Big, heavy, black and massive heatsink looking amp? Think they are over 2 decades old and they are quite good.

But tube/valve amp's is where it's at.

Adcom 500 watt amp? Big, heavy, black and massive heatsink looking amp? Think they are over 2 decades old and they are quite good.

But tube/valve amp's is where it's at.

These were white, but I think they came in black too. The tube amp was called, I think, a "baby grey," whatever that is, and I believe it was 40 watts (albeit high current, which apparently matters). I still remember listening to some CD and hearing instruments from behind me. We had lots of different speakers, but those were the only ones that pulled that off.

There is some one about 45 minutes away from virginia beach, selling a pair of SDA polks that need tweeters.
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/ele/4340561213.html

They're no SRS 1.x, but for under 200 bucks, they're a good buy (assuming they're in good shape). One nice thing about them was they shut down the tweeter if the signal was too noisy. I managed to blow a tweeter once (under warranty), but I'm sure I worked hard at it ;)

They're no SRS 1.x, but for under 200 bucks, they're a good buy (assuming they're in good shape). One nice thing about them was they shut down the tweeter if the signal was too noisy. I managed to blow a tweeter once (under warranty), but I'm sure I worked hard at it ;)
I was fortunate to receive a pair of SDA-CRS+ as a grad present. With the circuit breaker (more likely, thermal switch), I cannot imagine blowing a tweeter. That said, Polk's good about spares, and these SDAs could sound sweet for $225-250.

After having owned both these and the Pioneer SP-FS52 I would definitely go with the Pioneers. Andrew Jones did some magic with these things. The Polks are decent with home theater, play fairly loud without trouble, and are relatively strong in the dialog range, but the Pioneers have much better imaging, more resolution, don't break up as much, and have smoother more detailed highs.

I know it's been said multiple times, but Polk makes very good "bang for your buck" speakers if you're not an audiophile. I use a set of their wall-mounted speakers for my rears in my 5.1 setup and am very happy with them.

Back