Hub/Router For LAN Gaming?

BrackMontgomery

Weaksauce
We now have a few computers in the house and want to network them for gaming purposes, as well as for sharing files from time to time. I was just curious as to whether I would be better off going for a hub or router, and what models would be best for what I intend to do? I'm new to looking into networking hardware, so this is one area I'm clueless. I know routers have a firewall feature which is nice, but are they as good as a hub for gaming?

Any help would be appreciated...

go to your local best buy, or whomever would sell linksys wireless router/switch combo, that should do you good. It will allow you to have wireless in your home if you ever need it, and it will let you connect all your computers up so that they can talk to each other and to the internet, and it also provides a small layer of secutiry (it is not a true firewall, but makes it that much harder for skiddies to get to your computer)

From what I understand, wireless is quite a bit slower than a hard-wired connection, so I think that's out. I don't like the security issues associated with wireless either. If I ever go wireless it'll be when they fix the problems they have now and speed it up some...

So a switch is the best bet for connecting our computers and playing games? All the stuff I found on Lanparty.com suggested a hub, and to use a switch only when the number of computer users gets real high. I just wonder if a router will do the same as a hub, only it has the bonus of a firewall for outside internet traffic...

Any gamers here that like to LAN let me know...

A switch is faster than a hub, but you'll need lots of computers and very heavy network traffic to really notice.

However, neither of them deals with the fact that you still need to config IP addresses. A router is the easiest way to accomplish that, and most have a four-port switch built in. That said, the purpose of a router and switch are entirely different. The switch/hub is providing the physical connectivity, the router (really the integrated DHCP server) is providing logical connectivity.

I'm not sure exactly what criteria is being used above to say consumer routers aren't "true firewalls" -- they're perfectly good basic hardware firewalls, though that's a moot point if you're just LANning.

Wireless wouldn't hurt to have for upgrade purposes, even if you don't use it now. Better to spend the extra ~$30 than have to buy an extra ~$70 piece later.

Several people heavily advocate DLink over Linksys now, as Linksys has started developing a reputation for routers crapping out for no good reason.

And others prefer Linksys, of which no undependable reputation exists that I am aware of. No more than any other budget SOHO networking device anyway. In fact the reputation for Linksys has grown on the positive side because of all the different, highly configurable, third party firmwares out there for them. For reliability all the cheap stuff is about the same. The reason to forget about hubs is that switches are now just about the same price. If you are having a large LAN party you will notice the performance difference if your using a hub. Hubs are basically dead. No reason to buy one anymore as switches are the same price, generally. As far as wireless goes. If all your doing is internet and gaming the even the lowest bandwidth wireless product available is easily enough. Your securrity concerns are also a bit out of touch. There's ways to break WEP if someone has the knowledge, time, and most importantly, the will to do it. If your secure your WLAN as it can and should be done, you take that will away from would be crackers. If it takes days to do, then they won't do it. WPA even further complicates it, if not outright secures your wireless LAN.

Most home market "broadband routers" are really combination devices....consisting of 2x main parts.

1) The router itself, WAN port, web interface.
and
2) On the LAN side, instead of a single WAN port which most "true" routers have, they happen to have a built in 10/100 switch. Most brands/models have a built in 4 port switch, if you need more, simply uplink to another switch. There are some models with built in 8 port switches even.

For gaming, heck, for anything these days...you always want a switch...especially for gaming. Hubs are old, extinct, yesteryears technology several times over. Nobody should even consider hubs anymore.

I can't thank you guys enough for helping me out here. You've provided a wealth of information and have certainly answered my questions...

Based on what has been posted, I will probably go for a 4-port router. I've heard wireless routers don't do a great job going through walls and such, so I'm still hesitant about going in that direction, as our computers are in different rooms...

Thanks again...

A wired solution is definately the best way to go if it's practical. I think he just mentioned that should consider getting a router with built in wireless for the future if you ever end up with a wireless PC. You can get a 4 port router with built in wireless capability, so you wouldnt even have to use it until you were ready. Check out cost with vs without. If you do go with wireless, make sure you take the precautions to make sure nobody's grabbing your bandwidth.

if you just wanna set up a small lan so you and yer buds can frag eachother to hell and back just go pick up any half decent cheap router with dhcp thats all you will need. brands such as D-link are perfect for that sort of thing.

lomn75 said:
Several people heavily advocate DLink over Linksys now, as Linksys has started developing a reputation for routers crapping out for no good reason.

Mine did that! And it's Dlink replacement works fine. Also, my linksys 54G desktop PCI card was a POS and my linksys 11B notbook card is slow as crap and gets terrible reception. Go with Dlink

Back