Huawei to be TSMCs First EUV Customer

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
The Taiwanese Commercial Times reports that Huawei will be TSMC's first customer to use their "7+ nanometer" and 5nm EUV processes. Many chip companies, including Huawei, Apple, and AMD, already have publicly announced 7nm chips from TSMC in the pipeline, but those chips reportedly won't be fabricated on an EUV process. According to the chip maker's own roadmap, 5nm EUV production isn't due until sometime in 2019, while specifics for the 7+ process are a little more vague. Thanks to Digitimes for spotting (but not linking) the report.

Huawei is fully committed to increasing the self-sufficiency rate of the chip. The large-scale operation adopts advanced processes such as 16 nm and 7 nm. The wafer foundry leader TSMC directly benefits, and will take orders for Huawei foundry next year. Huawei is also the second largest TSMC client... We are optimistic about the huge business opportunities in AI related fields next year, and Huawei has also expanded its layout by developing chips on its own. Huawei recently announced the first data center processor Hi1620 with ARM architecture, which uses TSMC's 7-nm process and is expected to enter mass production next year. Huawei's new chip has joined the development of the ARMv8 architecture customized core codenamed TaiShan, which supports 48-core or 64-core configurations and will support next-generation PCIe Gen 4 high-speed transmission.

Last edited:
so many companies relying on 1 foundry is not good, the day TSMC encounter a major problem, tech industry will get to a full stop.

It's a good thing they have more than one foundry then. Although I do get your point. Imagine they find a critical manufacturing bug at one foundry, it affects them all. Scary...

As much as I dislike Intel, they need to stay in the game.

It's a good thing they have more than one foundry then. Although I do get your point. Imagine they find a critical manufacturing bug at one foundry, it affects them all. Scary...

As much as I dislike Intel, they need to stay in the game.

A critical manufacturing bug does not affect all foundries since they don't share the same technology.
By the way, TSMC must be underselling the competition quite a bit since almost everyone is using them.

By the way, TSMC must be underselling the competition quite a bit since almost everyone is using them.

I think they're just first. Samsung's 7nm is EUV, hence it's arriving later than TSMC's, GloFo is sticking to 14nm, and rumors suggest Intel isn't really offering fab capacity to other customers. So the only real alternatives to TSMC are older, bigger nodes.

As for the EUV nodes, there aren't many publicly confirmed customers yet, AFAIK

I think they're just first. Samsung's 7nm is EUV, hence it's arriving later than TSMC's, GloFo is sticking to 14nm, and rumors suggest Intel isn't really offering fab capacity to other customers. So the only real alternatives to TSMC are older, bigger nodes.

As for the EUV nodes, there aren't many publicly confirmed customers yet, AFAIK

Isn't Qualcomm's SD855 being manufactured on Samsung's 7nm EUV?

Back