HTTPS issues

Shadowspawn

[H]ard|Gawd
I consider myself proficient in networking (it is my career), but this issue is driving me nuts. I am running Windows 7 and everything works fine, except for HTTPS sites. The browser doesn't matter as I have installed IE and Firefox to test if Chrome was flaking on me and all had the same issue.

I am in Afghanistan so at first I simply blamed my shitty ISP; however, nobody else I have spoken to is having the same issues that I am. Normal HTTP access works fine to all sites. However, as soon as I log into the sites and begin to use HTTPS I start receiving errors. The sites won't load completely or fail to load at all. I need to reload them multiple times to get them to work once. Chrome will tell me there is unsecured content on a page at times, but this may be due to it being unable to load the page completely.

I considered an infection of some sort but multiple scans show no issues. I am almost ready to wipe my system and reload. At this rate it takes me 30 minutes just to get into my banks website.

Has anybody had a similar issue?

I had a similar issue when I was deployed there. It ended up being caused by my laptop overheating just enough, due to some seriously fine dust inside, to make anything involving encryption or compression (zip/unzip) fail.

Try blowing out the heatsink with some compressed air (if you can find it, I had to have it mailed to me when I was there). If that doesn't improve the situation then you may need to do a wipe and reinstall.

Thanks for the reply Gman but I am certain heat isn't related. I can play many 3D games flawlessly as well as push the system with multiple applications running without any heat related issues.

Opening secured HTTP sites should NOT be pushing my system anywhere nearly as hard as these other applications.

It's not pushing the system that causes the issue. In some cases games don't actually stress the cpu in the same way as something requiring the precision of ssl hash calculations and hardware that seems stable under heavy load can fail when asked to do very precise work. This is why some people can game on overclocked computers that won't be able to do a 24 hour run of a stress test successfully.

That said, I went back through some client files because I recalled this happening to a client as well. In that case, the issue occurred after a security update to Internet Explorer. Somehow it was causing issues with ssl in Firefox also in that case. According to the work log, we ended up having to do a wipe and reinstall to resolve the issue.

I found the issue - or at least the fix. I found that I am not able to use Connectify anymore. It was crashing when I tried to activate the access point.

I went in and uninstalled my wireless network card and let Windows install it automatically during the next boot. This worked and now my HTTPS issue's are gone and Connectify works as well. Steam is able to connect on the first try as well (another symptom I forgot to mention).

I don't know if the issue was the cards drivers or some other piece of the network puzzle, but it is repaired.

I'm glad you got it fixed that easily. It's a pain having to do a wipe and spend more time getting everything how you like it again.

Back