http://www.zdnet.com/article/google-windows-10-patches-put-windows-7-users-in-danger/

Calling the company "Microshit" really doesn't do much but make the person calling it that ridiculous name easier to dismiss. ;)

"How does it feel to be the cheerleader for the loosing team"...

Love that comment, why anyone would be a cheerleader for Microsoft in the first place is beyond comprehension.

"How does it feel to be the cheerleader for the loosing team"...

Love that comment, why anyone would be a cheerleader for Microsoft in the first place is beyond comprehension.

Why anyone would cheer for any company or OS is beyond comprehension. Primary Linux distributors are not in it for you, they are in it for the money, just like all other companies. :D

Why anyone would cheer for any company or OS is beyond comprehension. Primary Linux distributors are not in it for you, they are in it for the money, just like all other companies. :D

That is funny I don't remember paying for a copy of Arch ever.

I also don't remember having to ever have to pay for red hat... I have set plenty of places up with CentOS/fedora. Maintained and Released completely without cost. Dito opensuse is completely free. Ubuntu yep same thing.

If your talking about them being after companies $... yep of course they are, they sell service backed installs all the time. Not seeing how that = them being after my personal funds in anyway. Nice try though.

Also seeing as you really don't get how Linux is developed. Many of techs biggest companies donate both their developers time and actual funds to Linux development at the bigs... money from companies like Intel, facebook ect finds its way to those money grubby big distros your referring to, as does tends of millions of dollars a month worth of in-development that gets upstreamed to both the kernel and the big distros.

What?

I've never seen the developers of my distro pinching $$ out of my back pocket? Can't say the same for MS. MS aren't in the business of making friends mate, no need whatsoever to cheer for them.

I don't cheer specifically for the OS, I cheer for the coders and people tolling to make an outstanding OS such a Linux by the people for the people.

Last edited:
What?

I've never seen the developers of my distro pinching $$ out of my back pocket? Can't say the same for MS. MS aren't in the business of making friends mate, no need whatsoever to cheer for them.

I don't cheer specifically for the OS, I cheer for the coders and people tolling to make an outstanding OS such a Linux by the people for the people.

One distro I downloaded from had the audacity to ask for a donation! Blatant ripoff if you ask me!

Look I dislike MS as much as anybody but slamming them for this is really silly. They dont have to patch old OS's if they don't want to.

Look I dislike MS as much as anybody but slamming them for this is really silly. They dont have to patch old OS's if they don't want to.

Yes, they do, especially when they agreed to the support time period aka the lifecycle at the release of the given OS. Windows 7 has support till January 14, 2020 and they are expected to honor that until that day, after which they can give everyone still using Windows 7 the finger on prime-time TV during the Super Bowl for all I care but they better honor it until that date and not a fucking minute prior.

Did it at least HAVE Audacity?

Get it? Audacity?

The audio software?

ThrowHeadsBackInLaughter.gif

Yes, they do, especially when they agreed to the support time period aka the lifecycle at the release of the given OS. Windows 7 has support till January 14, 2020 and they are expected to honor that until that day, after which they can give everyone still using Windows 7 the finger on prime-time TV during the Super Bowl for all I care but they better honor it until that date and not a fucking minute prior.

Define "support."

Does support mean provide technical "support" if you have a problem and call them?
Does it mean they MUST patch all known issues?

Find the legalese/documentation that proves your point.

As for the topic at hand.
Question: was there ever a time when Microsoft had to support 3 major Desktop systems at once?
Question isn't loaded. I'm just wondering if they ever had to stretch so thin.

Define "support."

Does support mean provide technical "support" if you have a problem and call them?

I think the answer you're looking for can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet
Second paragraph "Without Microsoft support, you will no longer receive security updates that can help protect your PC from (...)"

Define "support."

While I don't personally need to prove anything to you or anyone else since the info is easily obtained from Microsoft itself, I'll be nice and provide it for you, as taken from the following Microsoft website page:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...eveloper-and-desktop-operating-systems-policy

And here's a picture highlighting the relevant aspects:

Since the topic of this thread is related to security aspects and patches necessary to protect Windows 7 from potential exploits and vulnerabilities during its effective support lifecycle then this is entirely relevant and spot-on to the point.

So, a company rep opining about how their competitor is doing something wrong (implying you should buy the companies products instead of the competitor's) is considered news? That's one of the reasons I quit regularly visiting zdnet a long time ago.

ZDNet? Really? I didn't know they were still around.

It doesn't feel right reading anything on their site without music playing on Realplayer with AOL Messenger notification sounds in the background.

Well So far.. 4 out of 5 machines were upgraded successfully.. the 5th machine hung downloading the upgrade and now won't boot

Also noticed the LAV Video filters don't work in full screen mode.. so if anyone is using them with Media Player Classic.. you'll probably have to wait for a fix. =( I hate these updates... something home theater related always breaks.. last time it was SPDIF pass through that broke :banghead:

Well So far.. 4 out of 5 machines were upgraded successfully.. the 5th machine hung downloading the upgrade and now won't boot

Also noticed the LAV Video filters don't work in full screen mode.. so if anyone is using them with Media Player Classic.. you'll probably have to wait for a fix. =( I hate these updates... something home theater related always breaks.. last time it was SPDIF pass through that broke :banghead:

Hence the reason why I switched to Linux for my hometheater duties, everything works perfectly under Kodi with a Linux server for the backend.

Cost? What's the cost of upgrading from 7 to 10? It's ridiculous to throw Linux in to every debate about Microsoft. It simply isn't an option for people in the same way Windows is, especially when discussing cost, as the switch to Windows 10 is free as well.

Back