• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

HTPC vs. seperate components

cjv998

n00b
Joined
Dec 3, 2006
Messages
52
Hi everyone, I've been debating the idea of an HTPC all-in-one media/PC system for a while now. Basically, I'd like to use a PC to feed (and as a source of) all audio and video signals to a 42" 1080p plasma (which I don't own yet) and an amp and 2.1 stereo system (I've got that part covered, but I may upgrade to a 5.1 system and new receiver later). Alternatively, I guess you could say I want to use the plasma as a PC monitor (yeah, I know...burn-in, but the Panasonic I'm looking at does pixel-wobbling, so I'm not super-concerned about it) I have a few concerns with this, however, which is why I'm here.

1. How would the image quality be when using a standard PC DVD drive to play a DVD on that large of a screen, where artifacts, etc. would be more noticeable?

2. How would sound quality of a decent consumer-grade sound card (ohh, let's say an M-Audio Revolution 5.1, because that's what I have :D) compare to a decent 5.1 (or higher) receiver? I suppose using digital-out to the receiver is a possibility here too.

So basically, do you lose out on A/V quality by using a PC as a source vs. using individual components (e.g. stand-alone consumer-grade DVD players)?

It just seems really logical to combine home theater and PCs, and I don't get why this hasn't caught on more. I mean, the PC already plays A/V material, and with the newer hard drives, they have the potential to store loads of media.

Thanks everyone!
 
So basically, do you lose out on A/V quality by using a PC as a source vs. using individual components (e.g. stand-alone consumer-grade DVD players)?

Compared to $30 walmart DVD players, HTPC is the way to go. I can't really comment on high end upscaling players. And it's really nice having tons of media at your finger tips.

I don't think HTPC's will ever catch on to the masses. There really isn't a lot of people that have the patience or the know how when it comes to building one yourself. I know you can buy pre configured media PC's, but I think they are pretty expensive.
 
Back
Top