HTPC video card

Kelvarr

Supreme [H]ardness
I am in the process of upgrading my HTPC.

I currently am upgrading to a i3 2100, with Intel HD2000 graphics. Would that be better, or would a Radeon 5450 be better?

Alternatively, since I am in need of a Sandy Bridge CPU anyway (for another project), would I be better off getting an i3 2105 or i3 2125 (HD3000 graphics) and using that vs the Radeon 5450?

The 5450 or 6450 are definitely better than integrated graphics, but if you are just watching video, there really isn't a reason to upgrade. If you are doing light gaming then maybe it might be worth the upgrade, but those cards would only be good for low resolution, low settings games. If you do plan on gaming I would recommend a 7750 as minimum.

No gaming...media streamer only. Also plays blu-ray discs on occasion.

You need a better GPU if you want to use advanced madVR algorithms.

I've read some topics regarding the LAV codecs where they have been recommending using CPU decoding instead of DXVA decoding. The reason is mainly that hardware decoding can be more prone to errors out side of your control (say a bug in the intel HD driver), where software decoding will never be prone to errors. If your cpu is modern enough, which yours is, you could use CPU decoding an not even upgrade your GPU.

The question is really what types of "errors" and whether you will notice them. You likely won't, so I wouldn't be too concerned. Barring more significant problems, which arise from time to time and are platform specific, with hardware acceleration, I'd opt to use it since it puts less stress on the CPU creating less heat, less fan noise, etc. Also consider use cases (not mine) where people use their HTPC also as a server. In that situation you want to keep the CPU activity as low as possible for other activities (transcoding to a remote client).

5450/6450s are so cheap a/r it's almost worth looking at picking up a passive cooled one incase you run into issues with your integrated. Anytime I can keep my cpu fan from spinning up is a great thing.

HD 4600 struggles with madVR (jinc 3 tap AR), do I need something like GTX 760 to run it smoothly?

HD 4600 struggles with madVR (jinc 3 tap AR), do I need something like GTX 760 to run it smoothly?
I used to have madVR on max setting on my 650, but I didn't notice any difference in image quality compared to CCCP so I went back to the latter.
Long story short: You don't need a 760 a 650 would run it just fine.

Back