HTPC Upgrade complete - Your Thoughts?

monkstah

Limp Gawd
Ok so I have finally gotten everything together to bring my HTPC current to 2009 at least.

Here are the upgrades, let me know what you think....

C2D E6550 2.33ghz, 4meg cache, 1333fsb
EVGA 680i 122-CK-NF68 rev. A1
EVGA 8600GT 256mb GDDR2 HDCP-Ready
AverMedia Combo ATSC/NTSC Tuner
Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR2 800(PC2-6400)

Already have :::
DVD-Rom
Maxtor 320gb, 250gb, 200gb SATA
WD 250GB My Book
650W OCZ Gamerstream PS

I am also going to be getting Vista Home Premium via an educational discount soon as well.

Lose the 680i and go with a P5K deluxe or a regular P5K. No reason to get the 680i unless going SLi. How do I know? I've been there and done that. The stablilty of a Intel chipset is a huge plus for something that will 24/7 use and has to be stable for the whole time.

Don't neccisarily have to be a P5K, just get something the is P35 based and it of a decent quality.

Other than that I would say good job :)

I currently have the same vid card and TV card as your list and both are working wonderfully. The TV card has hardly any CPU hit when recording OTA HD content. Haven't tried analog yet though.

How is it complete if you don't have all the items yet?

Ummm. It is complete because all items are purchased that were being upgraded. This wasn't a, here's a list of upgrades I am going to make, it's a list of upgrades I just made, as in, will be arriving in 3-5 days.

Looks like a good upgrade. That will make a nice HTPC. Plenty of horsepower for everything.

Back