HTPC Storage help

Toranaga

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 7, 2005
Messages
68
Hey, I’m interested in turning my old PC into a HTPC/file server. It’s pretty old and I don’t think it has SATA ports on it, but the new hard drive I’m going to get I want to last for awhile, through a transition to a new computer specifically. So I’m looking for a PCI hardware SATA or SATA2 card that would allow me to use a SATA hard drive.

If anyone has advice on specific parts or manufactures to go to or stay away from, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Andrew
 
You can try to purchase a PCI card that has the Serial ATA connetors. How old is your system? What are the Specs. If its an older one you may be better off installing linux if you just need a file server. I would recommend you upgrade the motherboard that you are using. Even thought the serail ata is fast the older components of your system will hinder performance.
 
Its from september 2001, and is a dell dimension 4300. 1.5 ghz P4, 1 gb of ram, currently 40 gb hard drive. I would get a normal ATA hard drive, but I want to be able to use the faster speed of SATA when I upgrade my computer (eventually, lol). You can't upgrade dell motherboards, so if you know of a trusted company that makes good SATA pci cards, it would be much appreciated
 
Also, one of the Maxtor drives on sale this week comes with a free SATA PCI card. Check the ads, I'll look again when I get home for ya.
 
Back
Top