HTPC sound quality question.

Ideon

n00b
So I have an odd question. For my HTPC I use a Sapphire 5450 512mb video card and run my video and sound via HDMI to a Yamaha receiver.

When playing back movies that have DTS or DD 5.1 and I change XBMC audio settings to DTS, or DD or anything other than analog the video play back pretty much stops or runs at 1fps and the sound dies. The only way the videos will play back is if it is set to analog.

Does this have something to do with the video card not being able to send DTS or DD you think? I’ve been looking into it more and if I can use a different video card that will better my sound quality then I am pretty interested. It sounds great now yes but if I can run DTS through it then why not you know.

Thanks in advance!!

Is the digital sound (HDMI) activated?

Control Panel>Sound & Audio Devices>Click on audio tab...

should be a list of sound options, look for the one for your video card, you probably have the wrong thing selected

Yes I normally run HDMI but as I look at it now I'm only running in stereo (fronts only) with no option for 5.1. Also I am running windows 7. So if I right click on the speaker on the task bar and select play back devices, right click on AMD HDMI output and select configur speakers that's all I get. Before I used to have 2 chnl, 5.1, 7.1. Hmm. I've checked my drivers and CCC and both are current. Any one else have this happen before?

Right now I am just at my desktop trying to get the sound to run back in 5.1 instead of two channels.

Ok I got it figured out and working correctly. I had to uninstall the current driver and use a older 11.14 driver to allow me to set my sound up right. Sounds great now!!

Back